1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Xsonics Club

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kringle77, Jan 11, 2013.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

I just was checking out this new cab company www.xsonics.com Looks interesting and a cool addition to the club of light/loud cabs that are out now. The guy who started the company is a TB member so I looked up some of his posts. It looks like he has went on the same merry go round with cabs that many of us have and decided to do his own thing. He really loves eden xlt 410 cabs so, if that is the sound profile he is going with, I'd be very interested in hearing one of these. If anyone has heard/seen one of these, let me know. Pretty new though.

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    who is the TB member that makes those?

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Chef, it appears that his email addy on his site is: ncognito10@comcast(dot)net........

4. kringle77

Yeah, I saw the e-mail address and recognised the screen name from Talkbass. I have pm'd him in the past about some of the cabs he had owned to get his opinion and also looked up his bands website.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

7. Chef

Disclosures:
    Implying that this would be guyncognito?

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Just speculation, if not perhaps that email could be associated with a TB account.....

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

I don't think so. Contact info says Chicago, while I believe "Guy" is from the South.

There is another TBer 'ncognito'. Could be him?

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

It is most certainly not me. I took the screen name from a Simpsons episode, so it's pretty common.

11. Chef

Disclosures:
    Could all be coincidence, but, I'm working thru that.

12. kringle77

Not guy, just ncognito. Two different tb'ers. I wasn't sure at first either. Looks like the xsonics cab has the second woofer facing in, where the schroeder is facing out. I could be wrong.

13. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

It's also is push-pull...which I'll need educating on. :confused:

14. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Yes it is isobaric.........the Shroeder is not.

15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The little animation on the site there shows the cones moving in and out together. In an isobaric box with the woofers face to face, you wire one reverse polarity to ine is pushing while the other is pulling, making the cones move back and for together, so the air space between the drivers stays the same, doesn't get larger or smaller as the cones move.

That xsonic thing I guess coyld be considered some sort of "quasi" bandpass thing, with the chamber filtering out some treble, but allowing the lowmids from the rear wave of that speaker to be added to the forward facing speaker.

16. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

Thanks Will. :)

What's the sonic benefit to the air space not changing? Or does it have more to do with controlling the speakers, as related to the box tuning?

17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    In an isobaric, it's to keep the airpressure between the 2 conew the same so they don't figjt each other. The isobaric will play deeper but has the same loudness as a single driver.

The xsonics box would make a lowmid bump due to the smallish box and having the backwards driver add it's lowmid out put to the first one but not it's treble output.

18. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Here's your typical Isobaric configurations:

"Front to Front" and "back to back" are typically "push/pull", where as the "front to back" is usually "push/push"....... I believe further that the Xsonics is an ISO-vent, rather than dual sealed enclosures.......

[​IMG]

19. kringle77

I know that he liked the d410xlt cab the best so, that bit about adding in the extra low mids makes sense. Based on that, I guess it would have a low mid bump, but without all the comb filtering caused by multiple drivers. From the picture, it's definitely vented out the front, not sure about whats going on with the second driver. Must be vented out the right side of the cab where the other driver is at a 90 degree angle or shares the vents with the front facing driver. Totally guessing here. I've never seen a design like this.

20. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Hey kringle77

Xsonics is my company. Before Schroeder, the original design of that box was from Tech SoundSystems. I endorsed that cabinet back when Fred ran the company here in the states. The CT2000 was quite cool. My design is similar but addresses I believe all of the issues that I didn't care for with that design. My cabinets are front shelf ported, and I've tried to model it's overall sound to be similar to the Eden410XLT which I've used for the last 18 years and loved.

Attached Files:

21. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    It is compound, not isobaric. It is dual ported so it does not act isobaric. Has 2 driver output not single as if truly isobaric

MItch Z likes this.