1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yamaha 1024X

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ariff, Mar 15, 2011.

1. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

So what's the story on this bass.. I have a 79 BB1000 and really like it. I am in the market for a new bass and would love to try one of these. However all I can find in the US is the over priced 2024x and the entry level 424.. The 1024x seems like the perfect balance between the two..
  2. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

3. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

yeah I saw that and I sent them some questions.. We'll see if they reply. I really like the red ones I think it looks great.
  4. larrison

larrison Supporting Member

The 1024x is all that the 2024x is accept for being made in Japan and ARE technology. It has an upgraded bridge, same pups, spline joint, string thru. I had one from Nova Musik. It was almost perfect, had an annoying buzz on the second fret, E string. I tried everything to eliminate it but could not. There did not seem to be any high frets. I thought that the truss rod wasn't functioning as it should. I ended up speaking to Yamaha tech support and the bass went back. Honestly other that, it was damn nice. Maybe just a lemon.
  5. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

Man that sucks.. Tell me about the sound of the bass? How about the neck is it true to the old BB series necks that it is like a Pbass neck, nice and fat? Does the neck have the sticky poly type finish on it or is it more of the satin type finish?
  6. larrison

larrison Supporting Member

I haven't played an older BB but the neck on the 1024 has the very smooth satin type finish. The width at the nut was 1.5". I like a chunky P neck and this bass didn't have that. It plays well. The newly designed pups didn't sound much different to me than the ones that were on a BB 1000MA that I had. The P pup thumps pretty good, J was a little thin- combined had a nice "bark" to it, definitley the BB signature sound. Overall, this Indonesian version is built well with alot of attention to detail.
  7. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

Interesting.. I am definitely a P bass\Stingray style neck guy.. My old 1979 BB has a nice huge fat neck I love. I thought they'd keep that feature.. I'll need to try before I buy I guess.
    Thanks..
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

9. Juan Count

Juan Count

10. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

Great post thanks for the link.. Makes me want one even more :hyper:
  11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I have a BB415 right now, which I love, but would consider upgrading to one of the newer models. Only problem is I picked it up new for £230, the new BB425 is going for more than double that (for thru body stringing and quarter-sawn neck), then BB1025 is double the price again (add better pickups, nickel nut and 3 piece spline joint body) and the BB2025 double yet again for some fancy voodoo wood treatments. I'd really need to play all 3 in comparison to my current bass to give me confidence that I wouldn't be wasting my money!
  12. Sebassplayer197

Sebassplayer197

Got one BB 1024x last week and had to send it back...neck was unstable , fret buzz every where even after having been checked by a respected luthier in Belgium twice the neck was moving every day...I still wonder how the quality control is made in Indonesia...