Yamaha BB P Pickup Replacement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PotsdamBass8, Mar 3, 2014.

1. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

I have a BB424X and it seems like the P pickup is giving me too much boom and clank for my taste. I was just curious if anyone has tried swapping out the pickup on any of these newer generation BB basses and what their reactions were. Obviously the tone is what I'm most concerned with, but I'm also curious how people dealt with the different shaped covers.

Thanks!

2. The Thinker

The Thinker

A lot of people seem to drop EMGs into BB basses. The covers don't match the Yamaha covers, but apparently people live with that.

Before you replace, have you tried lowering the P pickup? I have a BB425 and that did it for me. It still doesn't sound like a Fender, but I don't think it's supposed to really.

3. PotsdamBass8

I've tried lowering the pickup, I'll give it another shot with fresh ears though. I already lowered them a good amount to keep the strings from hitting them when I dig in, but I'm hesitant to go much lower as it would put the balance off with the J pickup. Thanks for the advice though!

4. The Thinker

The Thinker

I hope it helps. But FYI, that particular pickup is always going to sound at least somewhat deeper/cleaner than a regular P. Just the way it's made, I think. 99% of the time I leave the J pickup on as well because I like the blended sound better than the P alone. You might experiment with the height of the J pickup too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Too much boom and clank with the current pickup? Try the new EMG Geezer Butler P or PJ set. Cured my 09 Precision with too much boom and clank using the 62 Original. Don't know if you have active or passive in your BB but the Geezer's passive.

7. PotsdamBass8

Interesting, I haven't heard about the geezer pickup before. I'll have to check it out. Electronics are passive with a pickup selector.

8. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Definitely lower the pickups and use warmer strings. DR Sunbeams, flats or chromes. Also use the tone control to your advantage.