Yamaha BB1025X Weight & String Spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Herrick, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Herrick

Herrick

Hello mangs. I'm considering buying one of these basses. How is the weight & string spacing? I looked in the Yamaha BB club thread but I didn't see much info. I'm making a separate thread, hoping that more people will see it and help Herrick out.

Edit: In comparison, I've been playing a Warwick Corvette Standard 5 which is extremely nice, light-weight, & sounds excellent but the string spacing is too narrow for me.

2. ciubz

ciubz

3. jlepre

jlepre

4. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

Referring to yourself in the 3rd person. +1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Buskman

Buskman

Bump for Herrick referring to themselves in 3rd person! :cool:

On topic - I'd do a search in the classifieds section & send a PM to any current/past owners... They might have those specs for you.

Buskman wishes Herrick good luck! :D

7. jlepre

jlepre

8. Herrick

Herrick

Thanks Jlepre. I've looked at the Yamaha page & that Premier Guitar review before. Nothing mentioned about string spacing measurement but I'm sure it's wider than my Warwick. I guess weight's not a huge deal, since I have a comfort strap & I'm a bedroom player only.

Thanks, mang! :cool:

9. DuShauh

DuShauh Supporting Member

Spacing is 18.5, weight is over 9.0. Some may find that heavy, Not I...Perfect for me.
    Awesome bass ! I can't find one negative thing to say about them.

10. Herrick

Herrick

Thanks DuShauh! It's coming very close to a BB1025X or a 5-string Fender P Bass. I really want a single coil pickup in the bridge position...so that & the cheaper price are making the Yamaha BB1025X a serious contender.

11. DuShauh

Glad to pass along the info Herrick. In fact I can speak to your other choice as well. I had a 2011 Fender P5. Not to bash Fender...The P5 is a nice bass. But, the Yamaha, IMHO, is the better option. Used strictly as a "P", there is zero difference. But for less money, the Yamaha gives you so much more, many options. I sold the American Standard P, and am totally happy with the BB1025X. Best Wishes :bassist::bassist:

12. Herrick

Herrick

I had a 5-string P Bass too but the B didn't sound very good no matter what I did with the amp. Maybe it was just that one particular P? The B on the two 5-string Warwicks I have sound great. That's why I want a 5-string with PJ pickups. I'm hoping that a singlecoil bridge pickup will bring out the goodness of the Beeeeee.

13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I assume it's the same spacing as my BB415 which is 18mm at the bridge, with a 42mm nut width. Best feeling 5-string neck I ever played.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I think that if you like Fender fives, a BB1025 will work for you.

15. Herrick

Herrick

Yeah I'm still a little on the fence about this. It's been going on for a few days and it's quite painful :( Plus I can't decide if the BB looks ugly or looks cool :confused: One of the things I love about my Corvette is the looks & small body :crying:

16. DuShauh

I say that it looks rather distinguished...And that is most definitely cool. :smug:

Attached Files:

17. Herrick

Herrick

Well, I ended up ordering the 5-string P.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Yamaha BB bass bodies put me in the mind of a woman with a Beyonce like body: they make me think of wide hips and big, sexy booties!

19. jlepre

jlepre

Why?

Didn't you say that you wanted the single coil bridge pup?

20. Herrick

Herrick

It may be considered a dumb reason but I wasn't really sold on the looks of the BB. The previous 5-string P I had was only played for a day or two before I sent it back. So I want to try out another one & give it more of a chance. If I still dislike the sound of it after a few weeks, then I'll most likely just go for the BB1025X. Edit: Or I may consider having someone install a bridge pickup in the Pee.

I'd also like to take this time to complain about the lack of passive 5-string PJs under $1500 :spit:

21. DuShauh

I hope that it works for you Herrick. I wondered if you had the opportunity to play both of your choices. Your last post tells me the Fender half of it. Given some time, the 5 P may suit your needs, or as you said, the option of adding a J pickup is something to consider as well. Hopefully if you have not already, you will have the chance to give the Yamaha a test run...You "may" see it with different eyes (and ears) at that point. Unfortunately, not many places that I know of stock the BB1025X's or 2025's. If they were more readily available, IMHO, they would have a much larger presense in the field: Just a notion. I hope that my picture didn't steer you away from the Yammy...Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I tend to agree with the "Good Dr. ( Cheese)'s comments. It is hard to define SEXY ! But when you see it: You know it :D