1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yamaha BB1200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattyH, Jan 12, 2013.

1. MattyH

MattyH

Hey everyone. Quick question.

I have this problem. I need to buy sell and trade gear every few months. I like trying everything. I get bored. I want to hear whats out there!

I recently put my Lakland 55-02 up for sale or trade (if any trade offers peaked my interest of course). And one has. My Lakland, for a 1978 Yamaha BB1200 plus cash. This thing is clean. When I say clean, I mean it looks like it just rolled off the line. Beautiful natural finish, perfect action and neck, made in Japan. Frets look brand new. The only thing that shows wear are the tuners. This bass was someones baby. Now, I know there are tons of positive feedback on this bass. In fact, I couldn't find any negative feedback. So I figured I'd bring the deal in question to TalkBass. Let me know your thoughts! Experience, hates, loves, whatever!
  2. MattyH

MattyH

By the way I should add, I'm like 98% sure I'm gonna make this deal. I hear this bass is a better centered, toned, and focused P, with a jazz/p style neck. I hate P's, I love J's. But I love P tones if it really kicks and is a little tighter than the Fenders. And thats what I'm hearing from this bass. Sir Paul's sure does sound amazing live!
  3. Low_blow

Low_blow

Those late 70-early 80's Yamaha BB's are wonderful basses. Changing hardware on them (if needed) may become a small problem, though.
    About the deal: it depends on what you need right now: a modern 5-string or a P-bass. If I did not care for 5th string, I would trade the 55-02 for that BB1200+cash.
  4. MattyH

MattyH

Well I play in a wedding band. The 5er is nice for top 40 stuff, but honestly, it's nothing game changing. I played all the same tunes with a 62 Jazz before I got the Lakland, or my old Stingray5 I once had. I'm just really in the mood to try something new. And I know the general public at the weddings have no idea if I'm playing a B an octave lower. To them, a B is a B. Most don't even know what a bass is! Haha