1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

SOLD Yamaha BB300

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Diaper Geni, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Supporting Member

Just rescued this from the local Music-Go-Round. And guys, no foolin': This is a sa-WEET bass! I picked this up and played it at the MGR and just had to have it. Only reason I'm selling is because I need a bridge pickup for "my tone" and also need the bridge pickup to help me cut through a dense mix.

The lowdown:
    --Made in Taiwan.
    --Serial number is QM18144 (June 18th, 1990, Unit #144).
    --9 lbs according to my bathroom scale that weighs in half pound increments.
    --Stock, except for the strings. Actually, the bass sounds so good I didn't even change the strings after I bought it from MGR!
    --Action is pretty good. At the 12th fret the height of the G string is 2.5mm and the height of the E string is 3.5mm.
    --Intonation is good.
    --No high frets and the neck is nice and straight.

The good:
    --The tone is very nice. Thump or growl or bite depending on how you attack the bass. In short, it's very responsive and sounds like a great P bass.
    --Not too beat up. It's been played for sure. But for a 20+ year old instrument it's looking good!
    --Very little fret wear, IMO.
    --Everything is 100% functional. Electronics, truss rod, etc.

The bad:
    --I've played it on a couple of gigs with no issues except last night the bass had that good ol' "ground buzz". It did not happen on two other gigs nor does it happen in my home. But it's worth a mention.

$175 + shipping/insurance from 43065, Powell, OH. No gig bag or case. I'll take the neck off the body for shipping. Just screw the neck back and and string her up and go!

Attached Files:

DreadSi likes this.
  2. The Diaper Geni

The back:

Attached Files:

3. The Diaper Geni

And this is about the best I can get the serial number to show up:

Attached Files:

4. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus Supporting Member

I have always wondered what the necks on these feel like...
    I used to have a RBX-260 (which the 170 replaced), I loved the feel of that neck.

Do you know if it's anything like that?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The Diaper Geni

I can't answer your question. No experience with the RBX series bassees.

According to my hold-a-ruler-up-to-the-fingerboard-and-eyeball-it method, my bass at the nut is 1 11/16" wide and 3/4" thick. Hope that helps!

7. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus Supporting Member

Awesome thanks.
    So it's a bit beefier... at least wider.

8. j_archuleta

j_archuleta

I own that same bass, and for the price this is a great buy. This bass will stand the test of time, I've been playing mine for nearly 10 years and it's still going on strong.

BUMP!

9. The Diaper Geni

Here's some reading for the fence sitters.

10. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I've been thinking about it as a project bass but I don't have the cash right now. :crying:

I'm planning on starting my own guitar repair shop and I need some instruments to practice fretwork and nut work on.

11. Red Four

Red Four

Someone's missing out on a fantastic deal here. These basses are killer. The first bass I ever owned was a BB300 a lot like this (right down to the same style of pickups and bridge), and I still own it. I've let go of an Alembic, three 70s P basses, and a few other basses over the years, but have kept my BB300, and even added a duplicate of it last year.

The necks on these basses are great - substantial-feeling but fast (not as deep front-to-back as a P bass). Great neck finish too, a nice hard-satin. The pickups are great, the bridge design is completely solid (mine's been rock solid for 23 years), and the way both are designed is great for playability - the pickup's 2-screws-on-top makes for a more comfortable resting place for your thumb than the Fender one-screw design, and the bridge is much more comfortable to rest or brush your hand on than the typical Fender design.

In short, these are well-thought-out, well-made basses. I have no hesitation in recommending these to anyone who wants a strong-sounding, great-feeling bass that will hold up over time.

Plus, this is selling for a lot less than I paid for an almost identical one last year. You can't buy a better bass at this price, no exaggeration.

So, bump from a long-time fan of these hidden treasures.

12. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

BB300 love story bump form me as well. After buying my 86 reverse pickup BB300 I sold my cherished MIA Fender P. AMAZING BASS HERE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

13. MikeB_30

MikeB_30

My first bass is exactly like this one. I got it for a Christmas present from my folks when I was 16. I'm 41 now and I still have it. It's a great player!!
    Someone needs to snap this up! You won't be sorry.

14. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Holy crap what a great deal!

15. The Diaper Geni

16. IndustrialArts

IndustrialArts

I second that emotion. If I wasn't already in debtor's prison I'd buy it. BB Bump..

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Hey Bruce, If you dig that Trace EQ, meybe we can work sumpin' out... Just sayin'

18. The Diaper Geni

:D

19. The Diaper Geni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.