1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Yamaha BB3000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgod76, Mar 2, 2008.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

I'm looking for advice from those in the know about older Yamaha basses. I've desired an old BB3000 for a long time, but have had trouble locating one. Recently I found one, but I have questions.

First, the bass is in pretty good shape, but is by no means, mint. It plays well, has no buzzing, cracks or obvious dead spots, but has replacement tuners that used different mounting holes. The brass pickup trim is partially oxidized, and there is a bit of buckle rash on the back of the guitar. The guy is asking $725.00 + tax. Is this a good deal?

Next, if I do purchase this bass, I would like to locate the same type of tuners used with the original bass. Since the replacement tuners had a smaller mounting bracket, original tuners will cover the second set of drill holes. Does anyone know what type of tuners these old basses used and where could I locate a set?

Any insight from those with experience in older Yamaha basses would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    I wouldn't worry about that as much as I would be concerned with the neck adjustability.
    Sometimes older neck through basses can have the problem of the neck taking a set in a bad bow if they have not been kept in adjustment over the years.
    I've seen this twice. What happens is that the truss rod will no longer be able to straighten the neck, even at full tension.
    If that's the case, You may be in for expensive repair bills that might not even solve the problem.
    I recommend you try to find out if the truss rod has adjustability left to keep the neck straight under tension.
    If so, You got a good one, go for it. If not Stay away.
    Hopefully it's good. They are Great Basses

3. Lesfunk

Disclosures:
    I think tuners that will fit that bass can be had by any of the aftermarket parts companies.
    I believe they're similar to fender or music man

4. bassgod76

Les,
    How would I find out the info on the truss rod? I guess, how have you addressed this issue when buying an older neck through bass?

With the tuning keys, I've noticed that pictures of the older BBs have a thicker,newer looking key than a Fender, but had that open gear configuration like a Fender. Finding a modern key with open gears has proved to be fruitless. Once again, I know little about these since they are not easy to find. Am I looking at this wrong?

If the neck is good, do you think this is a fair price? Or should I wait for a nicer example to pop up? Thanks for your help.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lesfunk

Disclosures:
  7. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
    The old Yamaha basses had tuning machines that seemed to be exclusive to Yamaha - I've never seen them available as aftermarket items. Back in the day, you could only get them from Yamaha.

The Yamaha tuners had these collars on each tuning machine that needed to be tightened every now and then. To tighten the tuners, you needed a special tool that was also a very exclusive and esoteric Yamaha item, and also very easily lost when it seemed you needed it most. IMO, you're better off without the stock Yamaha BB tuners - they were the only real weak point with an otherwise awesome bass.

I've seen some old Yamaha BB models that have some truss rod nut stripping going on because the previous owner didn't use the right size allen wrench to adjust the neck, so it's something to watch out for. The brass pickup rings can be easily cleaned with appropriate metal cleaners. I got mine cleaned and varnished by a brass instrument technician I knew and they remained clean and shiny for years.

8. Lesfunk

Disclosures:
    Where is the bass? In a local store? On Ebay? Craigslist?

9. bassgod76

10. Lesfunk

Disclosures:
    One bass I returned, It was a BB3000MA i got from Musicians Friend. It was screwed.
    The other one I am having the neck heat reset as we speak/type.
    If the treatment works I'll have a great bass (83 BC rich eagle )
    If not, I can return it (Gotta love that 30 guitar Center guarantee!) I'll be out the repair cost, but it's worth the risk to me.

11. Lesfunk

Disclosures:
    the seller claims the neck is straight
    If the neck is straight, That's good.
    I'd ask the seller directly.
    I noticed the seller has good feedback. that helps.
    These things don't come along very often. Good color too.
    I'd be tempted to take a chance.

12. bassgod76

I played it for 30 minutes and found no issues with it. This is why I talk to you guys, because I would have never had any idea that old Yamaha tuning machines had problems.
    I will set up a meeting with the seller tomorrow.

13. Lesfunk

Disclosures:
    I wouldn't worry too much if it has good high quality tuners on it now
    I took a closer look at the ebay listing and it looks worth it.
    As long as everything works, You got a score.
    These things sound fanfntastic.

14. mrbassmanjazz

mrbassmanjazz

I have owned one of these from new ('85?). Lost the stupid 'C' spanner for the tuners. I have tried, in vain, to replace this item. Yamaha dealers, email to Yamaha etc. No joy. Saying that - I have found that finger tight has been sufficient.

The MA uses Hipshot tuners. QC604900 Tuning Machine Assembly HB1 (Nickel) by HipShot. See BB3000MA_E.pdf from Yamaha.

The neck is as straight as the day I brought it out of the shop. the guitar has been gigged extensively - not a safe in the house guitar. I love it!

15. bassgod76

The only Yamaha I'd buy nowadays is the BB2000. It had that reverse P config that I love.

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here's a shot of the tuners on my BB300L.
    [​IMG]

17. bassgod76

You don't see alot of those on the old basses anymore. A true keeper.

18. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Yep, I love it, also have a lefty BB614, but the old BB300 is my go-to bass for live work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]