Yamaha BB424 output level

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SwiftyTom, Nov 15, 2012.

1. SwiftyTom

SwiftyTom

How come Yamaha BB424 has such a super high output level? Granted, I'm a newbie and I don't have that much experience with different basses. The other two I have are Ibanez SR-505 and ESP-LTD B-205, both active and both only output about half of the signal level that the Yamaha does. In POD Farm, the input level shows around 50%, the actives have a level of about 25%. How's that even possible?

Especially the E string through the neck pickup can really make the amps distort, Rocksmith complain about too high output, and the practice place caretaker make inquisitive phone calls about blown speakers. :)
  2. oerk

oerk

My BB414 does have high output as well, and I suspect they're using exactly the same pickups in the 424 (which are pretty good, BTW).

The only active bass I own is much quieter. It does have weak pickups and the preamp is designed for unity gain, meaning it's exactly as loud active as it is in passive mode.

So active=louder never held true for me.

Can't you adjust the gain on you amp(s) so they don't distort anymore?

I've never had a problem with high output basses. I prefer them. To my ear they sound better. Maybe it's totally subjective because my brain is telling me that louder is better, maybe it's because they drive the input stage of the amp harder and the noise level is lower. I don't know.
  3. SwiftyTom

SwiftyTom

Yeah, I guess I will have to get a decent compressor to tame the low string while keeping the higher ones the same level.
  4. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

You have a control on your bass specifically for theis purpose - all you have to do is turn it down.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. xroads

xroads

+1.
    Plus, you can change the PU height, which is what I did as well.

Oh, and the reason why the output is so high is probably the use of strong magnets.
  7. oerk

oerk

Yep. Pickup height as well. And your fingers :bag: