Yamaha BB425X

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Jan 27, 2013.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Hello All,

Ok, I have done a search and only found a few threads containing some info. I am thinking of getting one of the babies. Please if you have any info please share with me. How is the B string? How are the pickups? You know the usually questions. Also any pictures would be nice.

Thanks

Shaun

2. Wallace320

Wallace320

Great bass with an optimal B string

I play a full step downtuned and the B string, strung A, sounded full and rich, with particularity of actually being 34,25" due to the aptly recessed single saddle, on an otherwise standard tinfoil bridge.

This and the brand new proprietary stringthru system provide BB425X of tension and definition on lower register

I "briefly" owned it 'cause, playin' downtuned, I certainly need to be strong and tight below, as much as I need to be precise and defined up treblewise.

Unfortunately it wasn't the case, traditional Alnico split always stealin' the show off a bright yet too thin soundin' Ceramic monorail bridge pickup
    I nearly had no highs, and couldn't reach for the proper accuracy, whenever passages on D and G strings (C and F downtuned) occurred.

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

I bought one on Friday, it arrives tomorrow. Will report back then.

4. Lackey

Lackey

I have the older version sans string through and weird nato strips in neck, and it has a great B string. Personally I dig the tone of the bridge pickup, I go for a midheavy fingerstyle sound usually. Great value.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jlepre

jlepre

I tried one out a local music store. Not bad, but I felt I was missing something with the lack of blending options. Not crazy about the switch.

I ended up with a Schecter Diamond P 5 instead, and I liked it much more. Better tone options, plus the neck just felt better.

[​IMG]

7. AREA

AREA

I also got the older Version, the BB415 and dig it. I replaced the Toggle Switch for a Pickup-Blend Pot. No big Deal and it gives you more tonal Options as you can mix the PU's better.

I like the "oldschoolish" Look. Pickups have a hot Output and the Low-B is nice....

I'd say ...go for it.

8. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

9. jlepre

jlepre

Oh and I forgot to mention the Schecter Diamond P 5 has an AMAZING B

10. ODDBALL

I just do not see a lot of info on the Yamaha. Its either the he BB425X or Schecter Diamond P 5.

What do you think?

Shaun

11. Lackey

Lackey

hehe, what now? One example of the Schecter and you're considering it as well? IMO theres a decent amount of info on the BB, search BB415, BB425, BB425x, BB1025... lot of people dig these basses. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any more info on the Schecter (which is probably a fine bass but I've never even seen one let alone played one).

12. ODDBALL

I also thought about the Schecter , but did not post that info. It was a coincidence that someone had brought it up. I am leaning towards the BB.

I really do like the Yamahas looks better. I also prefer the bigger heavier bass. The red BB looks awesome.

Shaun

13. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Ok, it arrived an hour ago. I was hugely impressed with the quality of the build and overall finish. If you had handed this to me and told me that it was a 2 grand 2025, I would have accepted it.

Then I plugged it.

Quite simply the most appalling sounding musical instrument of any class that I have ever heard. The bridge pickup quite literally sounds like a Moog synth bass. Great for playing acid lines on.

The volume need to be turned down to 5 to avoid clipping the DI box and then the volume is hugely inconsistent - vert poor dynamics.

I've just spent 10 minutes with it and it's going back into the box and back to the shop.

Unfortunate yet illuminating.

14. ODDBALL

Wow! Really? Huh.

15. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

I'm surprised you couldn't find much on these BB's on the forum. Every time someone asks about a passive 5 string, solid B on a 34 scale, or a P/J 5 string I feel like they get brought up.

I have the model up, the BB1025X, and it's the best neck I have ever played on and the best B string I have had (including 35 scale).

If you're looking for more options that would could with an active bass then this might not be for you. For me it's the best tone I've had. Really beefy but with a sharp, aggressive snap to it that I can't stop raving about.

I originally was going to get teh 425 version but I found a great deal on the one I currently have. I can say that I did not experience the same things Misterwogon came across when I was demoing it though.

16. wrench45us

wrench45us

I bought one for Christmas.

I have some issues with the single pole 'jazz' pickup influenced by an electro magnetic field in my house where the power comes in. I have to move to a different room to use that pickup. That's my house not the bass.

Aside from that, the feel of the neck just fit my hand as the most natural match I found and. The tone is more than I was hoping for from a P/J 'clone'. The build quality on Yamahas does infer a more expensive bass.

I haven't had any issues as described above by Misterwogan.

17. Buskman

Buskman

Hmmm...

The pickups in these basses are known for having extremely high output. Did you try adjusting the pickup(s) height to address both the gain & signal balance issues?

Might be worth looking into... Make that 10 minute decision into a 15 minute decision! :D

18. ODDBALL

I hope it is just the pickups needing adjustments. From all the threads I have read, I have never heard of that before.

Shaun

19. Herrick

Herrick

I've never played a BB425X but have heard mostly great things about them. I have the BB1025X which sounds & plays great. The P pickup is not the same as the one in the BB425X though. The neck is very nice. The only cons for Herrick are the overall looks & weight.

20. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

What's bad for the Herrick is good for the Mola Ram :)

21. Lackey

Lackey

Hehe, I kinda dig the looks myself. Mine isn't really heavy either, noticably lighter than my TRB.