1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Yamaha Nathan East Signature Bass BBNE2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JerryD, Sep 30, 2009.

1. JerryD

JerryD Supporting Member

Can anybody tell me about the Nathan East BBNE2 bass? How does it play and sound and anything else about it?

Thanks
    Jerry

2. bassplayer7770

bassplayer7770

I haven't played that model, but I have another Yamaha model Made in Japan. I absolutely love it. Super fast and smooth neck and great tone. Nothin' not to like IMO.

[​IMG]

3. bottomzone

bottomzone

I believe he's playing one in this video:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

4. Lackey

Lackey

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. darthplagis

darthplagis

basically its a custom yamaha 90's BB series (there is a difference, the current are re-issues of the 70's-80's BB series where as the 90's BB's had a more jazz bass sound with the yamaha soapbar pickups).

the bass has yamaha jazz bass pickups and nathans yamaha 3 band pre amp, which is a 2 band with a vairable frequency mid sweep, so you can dial in that sweet spot.

if you like yamaha basses then the BBNE is a great bass

7. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

I'm personally boycotting Yamaha because they don't make anything lefty. Not a hard boycott to follow, what with me not having any money to not buy their non-existent lefty basses with. :D

Seriously, though, if I could buy a Yamaha bass, I would on that like flies on yesterday's breakfast. I have loved the tone of every Yamaha I have heard. I figure I can at least pimp the brand if I can't speak for the particular bass in question.

(And if the Big Y does make lefties. PLEASE, PLEASE tell me where the heck I can buy them. I have looked until my eyes bled and didn't find anything.)

8. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

That bass sounds superb.

9. chalie

chalie

I had the NE1 and I was told that it is better in both sound and woods so I kept it for 5 years (along with many) but I still could not keep the bass and let go to those who love it. I was checking with NE2 before letting go NE1 and I was certain that NE1 is far better as said. The NE2 has Piezo which I never going to use and on top of that it has a fancy bridge to me. I think Yamaha, Japanese made is a good working bass and you will not be dissapoint unless you starting to notice the off-natural sound. To me it is liking you play it through an EQ. I still have 1986 BB VIII with me which is passive with double "P" and this one stay.

10. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

It's a Yamaha TRB6P, the old neckthrough's with piezos. it's custum built for nathan east by yamaha japan. he plays a beautiful cherryburst bbne2 sig. on eric clapton's dvd "Me And Mr. Johnson". there you can see a white 6 string bbne2 on the stand while he's playing the cherryburst 5 (they're both custom made for nathan )
    I'd like to have both of them:eek::D

11. ethompson2

ethompson2

I always liked these basses and thought they sounded great at least when listening to Nathan East play them. I never played one personally though.

12. hammer2748

hammer2748

I had the pleasure on 2 occasions....same instrument, however I cannot say for sure if it was the NE1 or NE2, however it did have the piezo. All that said, it was a pleasure to play and sounded awesome. I don't think anyone could be dissapointed in the tone/playability of one of those fine instruments.

13. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration

I own and often play the BBNE 2. IF you have heard Eric Clapton's live DVD, that is the tone of this bass. Nathan is playing that bass on All of FourPlay newest music. I spoke to Nathan East, and asked him whether his bass is custom made for him. When he autographed mine, he told me that his comes from the same custom shop as mine, and there was no difference. When I play mine, people tell me that I sound like Nathan East. So if you like that tone, get one.

14. dodgermex34

dodgermex34

I am looking to buy a used Yamaha Nathan East 5 string. If you know of one, please let me know. dodgermex34@yahoo.com

Thank you,

David Perez

15. jlepre

jlepre

Become a Supporting Member, and then you can post in the Classifieds BASS WANTED Section.

16. SteveC

SteveC

Great bass, great tone.

17. Root 5

Root 5

I seem to recall reading that Nathan's personal basses are 36" scale; the production models 34".

I'm sure they're nice instruments. Yamaha makes nice stuff.

18. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Very good basses! High end Yamaha's are (in my experience) excellent basses.

I own an NE2 & quite like it. Well built, versatile (as a modern jazz style bass can be) & a great looking bass (IMO)

I noticed talk of a piezo, but this is not the case, the odd looking knob & switch near the bridge are a mid contour & an on/off for the mid cut (so you can set a "scooped" tone to taste & flip it on/off...