Yamaha RBX 1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by setekh, Apr 6, 2007.

1. setekh

setekh

Anyone ever owned one of these babies? How did it play?

I was looking for a cheap backup bass, and saw this one...but I'm not too sure about specs (cant even find them on the web...is the model that old? :)) anyway, I noticed its got P/J pickups...but it isnt too clear whether its a P or J neck...and thats pretty much what I've found out...can anyone lend me a hand? :help:

cheers
  2. fryBASS

fryBASS

i have an RBX 170 and its great. i'd expect that the 1000 would be just as good :)
  3. setekh

setekh

any idea how the 170 compares to the 1000? :bassist:
  4. smo

smo

I also have a (10yr old tho') RBX170. Since then I've modified it a bit, but the neck hasn't changed. Lovely bass. I've got great respect for Yammy gear.

I haven't tried out a 1000 in my hands yet tho........
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Interesting. I didn't recognize a 1000, so I checked the website. I don't see it there. Maybe it's an older model, or something only marketed outside the U.S.

My main gigging bass these days is an RBX-170 in a P/J config.

I expect it to be my main bass for a long time. I'm glad I took a chance looking at that bass. There are many good low end basses out there these days, but, from my experience, that RBX-170 is the very best of the low end. And, if it gets bashed at a gig, you can pick up another for the cost of a good meal out. :)
  7. DivXovore

DivXovore

I think the RBX1000 was the "flagship" of the first batch of the RBX line. Sorry, i don´t know it´s woods, but i can tell you it´s not cheap at all: once i saw an ad about it, an it was 800€ or so. In the other hand, i can tell you it has P/J config (with Yamaha pickups) and active electronics.

If you can get it for cheap, do it! It´s a whole lotta bass.

Otherwise if you are looking for the "beater" kind of backup, get a RBX170/270. It is passive, so it doesn´t eat anything, and is a sweet, sweet bass (and not only for the bucks) wich can be easily improved or replaced.
  8. setekh

setekh

I have actually never played a Yamaha...(not that I have anything against the brand...just never happened) so I'm curious to know how it sounds :)
    yeah, the 1000 is pretty old...I've traced it all the way to 92...(as old as my little brother hehe).

well, judging from all the fuss around the 170, it seems I'll just have to pick one up and find out what's so good about them ;)

I was thinking of a budget of around €300...I might pick it up for that much :) so you'd suggest the 1000 over the 170 right?

also, what kind of amp do you guys use with your yamahas? any particular recommendation?
  9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

The RBX 1000 was still being manufactured in 1993. I'm not sure when they stopped making them.

They had a Precision-style ash body, bolt-on maple neck, 24-fret Rosewood fingerboard, pearl dot inlays, fixed brass bridge and 4 on-one-side tuners. Chrome hardware, P and J-style pups, volume/2 tone/mix controls, active electronics.

They were available in natural satin, black and translucent violet.

In 1993 they went for $1,030 new. Used you could pick one up for about $300 in those days.
  10. DivXovore

DivXovore

As a fellow bassist (and let´s assume it, Yamaha aficionado) i strongly encourage you to try some Yammies (particularly the "bottom line" RBX170/270, the BB414/614 and the RBX374. Great basses for not great money! :bassist:

Definitely yes. It has the added value of be a collectors item. :smug: