1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Yamaha RBX-375 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dogwillhunt80, Sep 30, 2013.

1. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

Apr 13, 2012
    Hi.

I was offering to trade my acoustic/electric Epiphone El Capitan for a fully electric bass and I got an offer for a Yamaha RBX-375.

While the reviews seem great, one thing I've noticed is that it takes batteries for some reason.

What would a fully electric bass need batteries for? I tried to find this online but couldn't find an answer. I know that for my acoustic/electric bass, it takes batteries for the pick-up but I can't see why it would on a regular electric bass.

Could anyone give me insight to this? Thanks.

2. Active electronics.

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Active basses typically have a built-in preamp and EQ circuitry that has boost as well as cut.

5. Active EQ, passive pickups. Personally, I had one of these for about a week & returned it. They feel cheap, the EQ isn't that great and I couldn't get the thing set up well, even with 2 luthiers looking at it. :( I would pass on it.

There are also acoustic basses that don't need batteries. It all depends on the type of pickup used.