1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Yamaha RBX P/J configuration

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flyingfrets, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Hey guys,

Question: Anybody have any experience with the Yamaha RBX170 (the one with the P/J pickup configuration)?

My current basses are a '76 4001 & a Rogue Viola (both setup for a Beatle cover situation - my main gig).

Boss at my day job & I have been talking about putting together a little part-time combo to play steakhouses & local pubs (Buffet, country rock and a few classic rock tunes).

Need something that will cover a little more sonic ground than my current instruments (not messing with the setups or changing strings - they're perfect as is for their intended use).

The P's & J's (or P/J's) see a lot of use in these genres...but I'm NOT a Fender guy AT ALL. Just wondering if the Yamaha is pretty close tone-wise with the P/J pickups? In the ballpark? Different animal altogether?

Thanks for any input...

2. LoTone

LoTone

That was my first bass. OK, not spectacular. It is more of a beginner's bass. As for the Fender sound, well it is a PJ but Yamaha uses ceramic in their pickups for this model. To my ears, it does not sound like a Fender. For the same amount of money, I suggest you look for a Squier.