1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yamaha RBX170 P/J basses at GC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StuartV, Nov 7, 2012.

1. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I popped into my local GC today. I like to troll their used gear looking for cool/interesting stuff. So far, in my year of living where I am, I have found zero, but anyway....

While there today, I noticed they had 4 new Yamaha RBX170s, each in a different finish. All had rosewood boards. 3 had mango wood tops with a translucent finish (3 different colors) and matching headstock. The wood looked really nicely figured and the finishes were nice. Those 3 were all priced at $199! And the 4th was a solid color with a plain headstock. It was $179.

All these basses were passive P/J configs with the typical VVT control setup.

Oh, and they're 24 fret.

I dinked around with one for a minute, but did not plug it in. Based on that and my prior experience with some different Yamaha basses, I'd have to say these seem REALLY NICE - even if they were $400 or more! But, at $199, I had to seriously slap my own hand to keep from pulling out my wallet!

Just passing along info...
  2. Wallace320

Wallace320

I remember it to be a P/J with Volume, Balance, Tone (just like my very first RBX 350 of 20+ years ago)!!!
    But it doesn't matter

The info is neat & clear

You experienced proverbial "Yamaha perceived quality"

Remember that we're talking about "Gigmaker packs" level of beginner bass so figure it out what they have to offer cruisin' up into their range of products!

Cheers,
    Wallace
  3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Wallace, good point on the controls. I ASSUMED VVT, but did not verify. It definitely could have been VBT.

I realize the price puts them on the very bottom level of expectations. But, it sure did feel nice and play nice. The fiinish on the back of the neck was very satiny. Not the typical glossy finish that tends to feel "sticky" to me.
  4. rockamimjazz

rockamimjazz

I own an RBX170 and love it. I bought it as an affordable, lightweight alternative to my Fender J Bass for those long rehearsals. Got it in Old Violin Sunburst, which looks fantastic. Fit and finish are top notch; I have been using it for more than a year and it hasn't disappointed.
  5. Wallace320

Wallace320

It's just that I compared it to my original RBX 350 "d'antan", and that Yamaha "tends" (so I can definitely be wrong) to give you V, V, T only on exactly the same pair of pickups (like J/J Nathan East inspired range of BBs) and offering V, B, T (or rather a pickup selector) whenever pickups differ one another (like P/J Michael Anthony inspired range of BBs).
    Again: I'll check it out, don't get me for granted, for it's not the point!
    Point being: solid alder body with a great, higher quality, satin neck feel...

Cheers,
    Wallace
  6. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

I played a couple of these at GC today and I was really impressed. Sounded really good, balanced well, lightweight, thin neck. What more could you want, and especially at that price range I'd take it over the Squier Jag anyday. (less neck dive)
  7. bill reed

bill reed

the Yamaha RBX 170 bass is really great value, its a well made and good sounding bass, had mine for 3 years and its my goto bass as i can get almost every sound out it I want with the help of my line 6 pod X3.
    as a starting bass its hard to beat on price and quality.
    Mine is V-V-T.
  8. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

9. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Nuthin wrong with those things, nice bass at a nice price.
  10. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

I had an RBX170 for several years... it had one of the nicest playing necks of any bass I ever owned...seriously
    Yes, it is VVT which works great with this bass. The tuners are a little wonky, but work. Everything else is fine with these things. And really comfortable to play.
    For an entry-level bass, these get two thumbs up from me.
  11. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

12. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

^^^ these look much better, I may have the get one !

I guess I missed the "mango wood top" on the first read. :(

Good catch - EagleMoon ;)
  13. sensei_steve

sensei_steve Supporting Member Supporting Member

I tried one with the mango top on my last visit to GC and was very impressed. It plays well, feels good, sounds good and is gorgeous. Both MF and samash will 'price match' 20% discount if you ask them! $143, mind bogling!