1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Yamaha rbx170ew saddle wrench

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by VBassRookie, Jan 27, 2013.

1. VBassRookie

VBassRookie

Anyone know what size allen wrench or hex key wrench is needed for saddle adjustment on a Yamaha RBX170EW? I don't have any metric allen wrenches and would prefer to just pickup an individual wrench, or at least make sure the one I need is in a set I purchase. Thanks. Not a bad bass for the price but needs some setup.

2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

This likely belongs in "Hardware, setup and repair" not Luthier's corner.

Probably 1.5mm

The 170 manual doesn't offer much help, as it lumps them into a "bridge assembly"

The 270 manual admits that the screws are "3.0 x 12" and "3.0 x 14"

I'm guessing that they mean the setscrews are M3x12mm & M3x14mm, and a standard M3 setscrew socket size is 1.5mm.

That assumes the 170 bridge screws are the same as the 270, which seems plausible. However, I've never had a decent hardware store complain if I bring in the part I'm trying to match so I can get a part to fit. You may feel "odd" hauling in your bass, but it's the best way.

The truss rod is supposed to be 5mm, though I think I saw a comment that the factory wrench is cut shorter than a usual allen wrench to fit in the pocket, so you might need to trim a "normal" one for the right fit.

The 270 manual ([DEL]unlike the 170[/DEL] No, I'm just blind) also specs a 1.5mm and 5mm (#1.5 & #5 is what it actually says...) allen wrench as "accessories", so that would seem to confirm that.

RBX170 Manual

3. VBassRookie

VBassRookie

Thanks, I ran and bought a set and 1.5 is the magic number, as you said. Thanks for all the other info also!