1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yamaha rbx170ew saddle wrench

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by VBassRookie, Jan 27, 2013.

1. VBassRookie

VBassRookie

Anyone know what size allen wrench or hex key wrench is needed for saddle adjustment on a Yamaha RBX170EW? I don't have any metric allen wrenches and would prefer to just pickup an individual wrench, or at least make sure the one I need is in a set I purchase. Thanks. Not a bad bass for the price but needs some setup.
  2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

This likely belongs in "Hardware, setup and repair" not Luthier's corner.

Probably 1.5mm

The 170 manual doesn't offer much help, as it lumps them into a "bridge assembly"

The 270 manual admits that the screws are "3.0 x 12" and "3.0 x 14"

I'm guessing that they mean the setscrews are M3x12mm & M3x14mm, and a standard M3 setscrew socket size is 1.5mm.

That assumes the 170 bridge screws are the same as the 270, which seems plausible. However, I've never had a decent hardware store complain if I bring in the part I'm trying to match so I can get a part to fit. You may feel "odd" hauling in your bass, but it's the best way.

The truss rod is supposed to be 5mm, though I think I saw a comment that the factory wrench is cut shorter than a usual allen wrench to fit in the pocket, so you might need to trim a "normal" one for the right fit.

The 270 manual ([DEL]unlike the 170[/DEL] No, I'm just blind) also specs a 1.5mm and 5mm (#1.5 & #5 is what it actually says...) allen wrench as "accessories", so that would seem to confirm that.

RBX170 Manual
  3. VBassRookie

VBassRookie

Thanks, I ran and bought a set and 1.5 is the magic number, as you said. Thanks for all the other info also!