Yamaha RBX375 for first 5-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Electricblue, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Electricblue

Electricblue

Hi all.

I'm thinking of upgrading from my Squier Jazz Bass soon, and I'm considering the Yamaha RBX375. It will be the first 5-string I've used, and I'm not too sure if the extra string would eff with my playing.

Also, will the lower frequencies pose any extra risk to my amp or cab? I use Ashdown Mag 300w head, Mag 410 and Mag 115 cabinets. I'm looking for a matching 410 on ebay, so when one comes up, I'll sell the 115.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-rbx-375-mustard-pearl/16259

This is the pretty much the only 5-string that fits what I'm after. I used my guitar teacher's Yamaha RBX374 (4 string) and I loved it. I don't care much for "metal" style basses, but this one I could live with :D

If I don't go for this one, it'll be a 4-string Fender MIM P bass, though it would take a lot more saving up to do.

I like the tone of my Jazz bass with the pickups in series, 500k master tone and master volume. I use DR Hi-beam strings, and I'm completely happy with them. But I'm looking for something a bit more versatile and beefy in general :bassist:

I want something that can go from a p-bass sound to a musicman sound to a natural, flat sound.

Here's a bunch of songs with the sorta tones I like:

Funeral for a friend - One for the road. You can hear the sound I'm on about from about 0.30 onwards.

Nirvana - Lounge act

Death cab for cutie - Summer Skin

That's about it I think, any more questions, let me know!

:bassist:

2. Mikio

Mikio

Stay away from that, quality sucks. If you can find an older Yamaha RBX 5 strings model used I'd go for that (I used to own the 775 and it owns, the 375 is just.. cheap). Or if you can get a new RBX A2M or something like that XD, the 5 strings version is awesome.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't buy a Yamaha 5 without playing a bunch of them, in my experience the Yamaha B leaves A LOT to be desired. I haven't played every model but I played a bunch of their lower and mid range stuff and the 5ers were quite bad. The B string is a very tricky beast and many manufacturers have yet to tame it, play a lot of B's because they are not the same.

The RBX line is a pretty solid bass in the entry level or advanced beginner but if you were seriously playing I wouldn't recommend them.

That is my two cents.

4. Mikio

Mikio

Most of the time is a set up thing. Mine was all loose and crappy, but I fixed it quick :meh:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I have owned 100's of basses. I have about the least respect for Yamahas of anything. Sorry but that's the truth. I stay away from them. Now Ibanez, Aria ProII, Japan Squiers to name a few are a different story,

7. amir93smith

amir93smith

I have owned few 5 strings in the past (atm using and aria stb gt5, and an aria magna 20/5) and i have to say the Yamaha rbx 375 by far was the worst one i owned, i found it to be practically unplayable, around the middle of the neck gave me hand cramps, very heavy for something not made out of alder....and a useless cut away....the pick ups in it are good, but an awkward size in case you wanted to mod it....the routing very small and awkward as well in case again if you wanted to mod it...i would advise you not to get it

8. amir93smith

amir93smith

try get an ibanez or an aria....well made and affordable instruments, especially 2nd hand; and most easy to mod =)

9. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1
    You Mikio mean business

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I'll never understand what the hate against Yamahas, and especially the RBX3-series is all about. I can't be the only guy who didn't buy a lemon RBX375.

I bought a flat-silver one in 2007, a year after I started playing bass altogether and it was my first five-string. No hardware issues to this day, it's not tricky to set up, there were no QA problems with the finish or the electronics whatsoever, and the bass balances really, really well. It's been in my stable since.

I've used that RBX375 for everything from pop and rock to jazz and metal (and every crossover between those) and the tone can be made to fit anywhere. The B string is as tight as I feel it should be, and I use a .128 B, though it sounds a bit undefined unless you either pick over the bridge pickup or closer to the bridge, or you favor the bridge pickup slightly.

From what I've heard from other owners who had modded theirs and those I'd helped turn one into a passive bass, the only weak point is the slightly inflexible preamp, and that much is true because I feel the bass and treble are too far apart and too wide. I'm only replacing mine with a homemade MusicMan pre because I want to try something new and I want to see how the circuit works with those pickups.

Edit: Re: the pickups - they are standard dual-coil pickups with the sensing area of an EMG-40, in a shell the size of an EMG-45. An odd combination, but in case anyone wanted to replace the pickups, it wouldn't be such a drag to make a 45 surround for a 40-sized pickup. I'm not sure if the current covers can be removed or if the whole assembly is epoxied.

11. Electricblue

Electricblue

Thanks for all the input!

Concerning the dodgy B string, is it something that a good setup or string change might help? If not, would the 4-string be any good? I like my guitar teacher's one. I have a pretty tight budget of 300 pounds, so my options are pretty limited. A 4 string might be my best bet then? The lowest I've ever needed to tune is Drop Db tuning.