Yamaha RBX6JM. What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by cocacola87559, Feb 16, 2013.

1. cocacola87559

cocacola87559

It's a Yamaha RBX6JM with no scratches or dents on it. It is a John Myung of Dream Theater signature 6 string bass. If you have seen any of these go for sale on here or on the internet, what do you all think it could be worth?

More importantly, if any of you guys have played one, what do you think of it? I like the feel of it a lot and the sound, but I've been thinking of possibly getting a 6 string Bongo(if I could find one cheap enough). Would you recommend I stay with this or get something new? Recommend any type of 6 you guys may like. Im curious.

Here's some pics:
    http://i.imgur.com/7Anei7O.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/ExOredb.jpg

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I love these basses. They play great when set up properly, and I like them much better than the Bongo John is playing now. The color is sweet also.

For a production 6, these things are always a solid 9 out of 10, and can be a 10 for the right guy.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

It's not a bad bass. His first RBX JM signature was really a pain in the *ss. Looks were ugly and the sound was ''bleh''. Never understood what he saw in that bass.

The RBX JM2 looks a lot better and the sound is very deep and punchy. Not my kind of thing, but if it works for someone, go for it :)

About the Bongo : Well... :p I'll keep it nice :p I think Music Man is overrated and overpriced for what you get. I saw a factory tour about how they are made (both basses and guitars) and it's just a big no for me. It's just... I dunno.. It looks so much toys-a-like.. Not hating here, but IMO there is nothing boutique about their instruments.

I played some Stingrays and the sound was so dull and empty.. There was nothing about it that made me think they were good basses.

I honestly think Myung deserves better. Maybe some USA build Spectors or some nice Pedullas would fit him. But then again, the Bongos have his sound so who am I to judge him? ;)

4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

LOL as if Myung was being extorted into playing the instruments he plays. The only reason EBMM makes a 6er is because he asked them to make one. Once they did, he ended up liking the prototypes so much he wouldn't even let EBMM tweak it further.

Also, I can't recall anyone ever saying EBMM instruments were true boutique instruments. Sterling Ball has said it himself that their instruments aren't cheap, nor are they super expensive...they're in a weird sort of limbo in the market.

That's fine if you don't like the sound or feel of the instruments, but "dull and empty" are the last words I'd use to describe a Stingray. Most people that don't like them say the exact opposite.

Oh and a quick FYI, John Myung recorded the second Dream Theater album with a Spector 4 string. From there he moved on to Tobias 6ers, then briefly Tung bass guitars, etc etc.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

7. GTA4lifehomie

GTA4lifehomie

I have the yamaha RBX6jm, the only thing you have to worry about these babies is the fretwear, after what it seems like what 10 years since it came out of the factory, the bass that i have plays good with no fret buzz, but the frets look kinda worn out might have to fix it soon, also the string spacing goes tight when in between the B string and the E string, and it works well with steel strings, i have been putting steel strings in this bass for 3 years, still sounds amazing... exept for the low b the frets make a weird buzzy sound in the 5-9 fret:atoz:
    if it's new than id be willing to pay anything from $800-$1000 mainly because they dont make these no more finding one in great shape is no easy task, i found mine in a pawn shop there was a discount of 40% and it was about 600 dollars sold to me for about 400 dollars, i am lucky to even own 1 :D

8. ROGI

ROGI

had it, great bass, built like a tank. sounds tight and focused in a band setting. you just need to adjust to it. ebony/maple/alder is an interesting combo. punchy, direct, and also sits great in a mix. you just need some time to understand how to get the sound you want. also it's really really heavy.