1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yamaha SB5A / SB7A Samurai Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hillerup, Dec 25, 2012.

1. hillerup

hillerup Supporting Member

Currently there is a Yamaha SB5A/SB7A Samurai Bass for sale in my local classifieds.

This seem to be a rather rare bass with a very distinct look, which I haven't seen for sale before and with almost no info avalable on the internet.

So I was wondering is this a worthwhile bass to buy?
  2. wvbass

wvbass

They are somewhat rare, and odd. If the price is right, you could probably flip it and make a couple bucks. I'd love to have one, but I'm out of the bass buying business for a little while.

Edit: Yamaha doesn't make crap. I believe these have fairly slim necks, but I'd bet it is like other Yamahas - a good bass.
  3. Staredge

Staredge

Is it an original, or one of the SBV reissues?? I'd hit it in a heartbeat for a good price. I know the reissues roll in the 400 range.
  4. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I had an original sb5a, a 67 from memory, found it gathering dust in a used store.

Thin sounding, average playing, a bridge that warped every time you tuned it.

If you want it for playing, find a reissue.
  5. hillerup

The bass in question is an original one from the late sixties: metallic turqoise with a matching headstock and white pickguard. It has quilte a few dings and scratches, but is otherwise complete - except one of the knobs is missing the silver top, and it even comes with an original hardcase...

The seller wants $ 800 for it, which seems to be a lot, considering i've seen others in mint condition pass for $ 450 without original hardcase.

Are these basses collectible in any way, and what would be reasonable price for this?
  6. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    My sb5 was sunburst, all original, decent condition, original case, bought it for $850, sold it for $850.

They are a little collectible in Japan, but otherwise they fall into the 'old and novelty' category.

They're ok, but nothing fantastic
  7. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    This was mine..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the bridge..
    Insufficient break angle to keep the saddles down! And base plate would warp when the cover was put on!

The only thing missing on this bass was the black plastic back of the bridge cover.. Very rare part!

[​IMG]
  8. hillerup

A very beautiful sunburst specimen... What is the function of the small metalplate in front of the bridge?

Here are some pictures of the one from the classifieds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. hillerup

How does the original SB5A/SB7A compare to the reissues - sound and quality wise?