1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Yamaha TRB 6 (MIJ) vs. Peavey Cirrus 6 (MIA)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hgiles, Nov 20, 2012.

1. hgiles

hgiles

What are your thoughts? It looks like these two might fall in my budget and I do like a clean clear, undistorted tone. Which is more highly regarded. Better made?

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Cleanest clearest is Conklin groove tools

Chording isn't bell clear on either listed basses

3. Lackey

Lackey

Groove Tools eh? Maybe they're clear too, but TRBs are known for being pretty bloody clear. See John Patitucci for a reference..

I vote for the TRB, but I'm biased. If you're needing wide spacing you'd want the TRB.

4. musicianary

musicianary

A thousands times, the TRB! I had the 5'er, and I regret ever getting rid of it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

Another vote for the TRB.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  8. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Once you're spending above $1500 (new) "quality" is just about a non-issue. What you should be concerned about is feel and tone. Both the Cirrus and TRB6 wil do clean and clear just fine but they are TOTALLY different basses in terms of feel and tone.

For tone, you'd be better off checking out YouTube vids but I can talk about how they play. The Cirrus necks are considerably thicker front to back but thinner from the bass to the treble side thanks to the Cirruses smaller string spacing. The TRB6s tend to run heavy, 10-12lbs for the ones I've owned/played. They both have really comfortable bodies both sitting and standing. One thing I can say about their respective tones is that dead strings on a Cirrus (and just about any bass with the turbo pickup configuration minus Spectors) are D. E. A. D. The TRBs tend to ride strings out more evenly.

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've had two TRBs - a 1st gen TRB6p and a TRB-JP, and both were flat out amazing. Solid, killer tone, clear and articulate. I had a Cirrus, too. Never like it enough to even gig with it.

10. themarshall

themarshall

Please clarify; I don't understand the reference.

11. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

The TRB6p would be my first choice then I would go with a Peavey Cirrus 6. I have owned the first edition TRB6p's and that was a smokin' good 6'er. Build construction and feel to rival the best of them. Before the TRB6p I owned a Cirrus 5 from 1998 and it was also a fantastic bass but just a notch below the feel and sound of the TRB.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I am a TRB6 fan too. I had one during the early to mid 1990s and it was as nice as any bass I have ever owned, including my Alembics and Ken Smith. I would totally rock a Cirrus five, but I would much prefer the wide and flat profile of a TRB for a six.

13. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Two pickups set close to the bridge such ad Ken Smith, Peavey Cirrus, Modulus Quantum, Euro and USA made Spectors, Roscoe's, Foder Tom Kennedy Signature and other like them.

14. azzyrazzy

azzyrazzy

Media:
    Doesn't make sense to me that pickup position makes for a deader string sound.

15. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

It's not that they sound deader, it's just more apparent when the strings are dead. Fresh strings sound amazing on a lot of these basses.

16. thewildest

thewildest

TRB.

I have a TRB 6ii MIJ, and I will ask to be buried with it when my day comes. I play chords constantly, sometimes arpeggiating them with my right hand as you would play a guitar... sounds like a soprano guitar... super playable, very clear.

17. GM60466

GM60466