Yamaha TRB1004 - tuning key issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by haas, Nov 3, 2012.

1. haas

haas

Hey guys, I have a Yamaha TRB1004. Bought it about 4 or 5 years ago. Love this bass BUT I've had to replace 3 tuning keys. The center keeps snaping off. I've had tuner replacements from 3 difference manufacturers. There's something about the design of the neck that adds extra stress to the tuning keys. At least, that's all I can figure. Anyone else have this problem?

2. haas

haas

No one....?

3. GM60466

GM60466

It is one of my everyday basses. I have never had a problem with the tuners

4. Kilometers

Kilometers

Have you taken it to a good tech? It sounds like something you shouldn't have have to deal with on a well made modern guitar. Definitely get someone to take a look at it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bootsox

bootsox

I've never heard of this with any bass. Are you sure you're not being too hamfisted with them?

7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    Could you clarify what you mean by "the center keeps snapping off"? Do you mean that the key shaft is breaking off from the worm gear? I suspect that the tuner post is binding up in the bushing for some reason, causing it to jam.

Did you know that Yamaha's Artist Relations Group is in Burbank, not too far from you? My own shop is only 2 miles from them, and I do occasional custom work for them. Give them a call. Your bass may not be covered under warranty, but I'm sure they'll be glad to look at it and talk to you. That's why they are there!

8. haas

haas

Man, I love the tone on this bass but tuning key #4 just snapped. I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. I can't trust this thing at gigs. Bummer.

9. antman0072

antman0072

my D string tuner has broke 2 times but i replaced with a cheap one i had lying around