YAMAHA TRB1006

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jbass1982, Aug 29, 2012.

1. jbass1982

jbass1982

I RECENTLY JUST BOUGHT A YAMAHA TRB1006 AND I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE THE PRE AMP AND THE PICKUPS IN IT. I WOULD LIKE INPUT ON WHICH ONES WOULD SOUND BETTER. I LIKE A LOT OF BITE IN MY BASS.. ANY SUGGESTIONS? ALSO I BOUGHT THIS BASS BECAUSE I FELL IN LOVE WITH A TRBJPII THAT I PLAYED ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO AND THE NEXT DAY I WENT TO BUY IT FROM THE STORE TO FIND IT SOLD ALREADY. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO BASSES??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

I have a TRB1005 and I absolutely love the punch of this bass. I have read a lot of reviews and it seems that most of those who replaced the electronic/pickups were not satisfied with the result due to the loss of punch. For sure, keep those alnico pickups they are great and I think they are the same as the TRBJPII. Furthermore it is difficult to find a replacement pickup that has the same size.
    Do whatever you want with is it, but here is my advice: Start by replacing the strings with a set of D'Addario XL's. They are the perfect strings for this bass due to the added growl. For some reasons, my bass sounds so much better with them than with DR HiBeams (yet, the Hi Beams are my favorite strings on a Jazz Bass). I find this bass to sound boring and bland with Stainless strings. It's an inexpensive change that can make all the difference. If after that you are still not satisfied, consider changing the preamp for something like an Aguilar OP3. Personally If I am not satisfied with the sound of an instrument I prefer selling it as opposed to investing a lot of money toward an elusive and uncertain result.

3. jbass1982

jbass1982

I changed to those strings today and still I want more bite! It's like the pickups are weak. Maybe im playing through the wrong settings or cab/amp setup. I use a Ampeg Svt4Pro and a SWR working man 8x10. I fade to the back pickup and lows up mids up and highs down. What should I do?

4. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

It's hard to tell without checking the bass and I assume you changed the battery of the preamp right? (that's always the first thing you do when an active bass does not work as you expect) You may want to have a tech guy check it out. I know my bass sounds fantastic. Personally, I leave everything straight on the bass and amp eq and just add a tad of bass around 2 o'clock. I play with a Markbass LMII and various cabs but the bass sound great even when recording. Also you can look into raising the pickups as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. woody357

woody357

Your bass is fine, I'll leave it at that!!!!

7. jbass1982

jbass1982

@ Woody357: I do know that there is nothing wrong with the bass. I do know the bass is in perfect working condition. I am just looking for a particular sound that i am not getting from it. I got it from a TRBJPII and so thats why i would like to know what was different between the two or see if someone had good info about how to get more bite.

8. cbyrd2200

cbyrd2200

OP, the difference between the TRB 1006 and the TRB6pii is that the 1006 has a bolt on neck with an alder body, maple top and a rosewood fingerboard while the TRB6pii has a neck-thru construction with an ash body, maple top and back and an ebony fingerboard as well as piezo pickups at the bridge which adds a whole new dimension to the instrument's tone. Ash is also a much more "EQ'd" sounding wood than alder and Ebony is much more punchy than rosewood as well. The lack of punch you're hearing on the 1006 is the lack of an ash body, ebony board and piezo pickups. Naturally an alder body/mahogany board will sound much smoother than ash/ebony.

9. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    6PII: Neck thru + piezo vs 1006: bolt on

Those are the main differences

10. matrixcs

matrixcs

if you're planning to replace still the pickup of your trb, just let me know. I will buy your old PUPs :) thanks!

11. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Oh wow! A Blue Yamaha TRB 1006! :eek: Beautiful!

I'd recommend some Nordstrand pickups and a Nordstrand preamp for your bass. Expensive, but worth every dollar ;)

12. yamahatrb

yamahatrb

Bartolini P'ups and 5.3.1 System with a switchable mid and passive/active push pull volume knob....MAN ALIVE!!! You want punch....DONE! PM me and I can send pics...mine has so much punch that I have flats on a,d and g strings.....it is that bright....I love it!

13. matrixcs

matrixcs

Pm me if you are selling your yamaha trb pre-amp