Yamaha TRBX model is now appearing on the Yamaha Canada website

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LoTone, Aug 31, 2013.

1. LoTone

LoTone Gold Supporting Member

2. Systolic

Systolic

I very much like what I see. Would love to hear it in action.
  3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Wonder if I should see it as a cheap TRB or expensive RBX..
  4. millsbass5

millsbass5

I think they'll be goin' for approximately $865.00 (for the TRBX 505). At least that's what they're goin' for in the UK, transferred to US currency.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

I gotta tell ya I know Yamaha for so many years now and have
    a few of their basses (and had more, along the way)

I never been impressed with Rbx ceramic humbuckers, for they
    succeded in their goal to push Ibanez Srx series almost out of market, unfortunately sportin' same cons: huge power for one trick pony items, but nothin' more than that

I tryed both Trbx304 and 504

The first one, which sported said pickup offering, started as surely not my favorite, but I gotta admit that the 5 position switch is truly capable to give it a somekind of versatility, a newbie or a kid can this time really find in the instrument.

First of all, the neck is superb, and it looks and feels like a mix of BB series design and Trb series headstock
    So the scale stays 34" (like on BB series) 5 piece (like on both)
    and fingerboard is nearly flat (like on Trb series)

Slap, pick, finger and solo position (I tried them thru an Ampeg
    BA115HP, a combo I know so well, for usin' it to teach a few friends of mine at home: 15" speaker with tuner and midshaper
    worth 220w) all give a veritable distinction, with two variants of mid scoop (accentuated with the "slap" and mellower with the "pick" option) while "finger" and "solo" again give their two takes on a certain note attack, and then decay, for the former
    and more of both, strong note attack and very fast decay, for
    the latter

Center ("flat") position, replicates many of the cons of original Rbx series ceramic approach (even if with a mahogany body instead of alder) so needs to be tweaked by onboard and amp eq to reach some kind of definition.
    Anyway to my surprise this was the more convincin' instrument
    among the two, to the point that I made a kid n'pop buy it for the son to start to study bass within days.

Not so easy for me to detract Trbx504, but the point is this: Yamaha succeded in grantin' no difference between flat active
    and passive output, and this is a pro.
    Con being that Schecterlike soapbars are really weak, to say the least, infact I felt compelled to push bass, mid and treble to the max to match the output I had with Trbx304 just a few
    sec before.

Disappointed!

Cheers,
    Wallace
  7. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

Have not gotten a chance to try the trbx 504/505.

However, managed to try the trbx 305 as well as 304 in one of my local Yamaha music shops two days ago.
    First try was direct to mixer. All the select switches and knobs works sweetly.
    Then via an orange 50w bass amp with amp settings at flat, gain at rather minimal and volume at noon.Again, it proves to be a great active machine. Not a one trick pony while also not something confusing.

Within the price range, I've always, previously, speak wonders of sterling sub ray.
    Guess this time round, if with a tad more budget... I will be able to say that 304/305,IMHO, will be of more value, if one needs a bit more versatility for songs that require active sounds.
    I am attracted to it strongly due to it's capability to be a versatile active bass which doesn't need too much cracking of the brains to get to the desired options. Well, of course there's ton of other more expensive/boutique active Basses out there but I'm writing this in perspective of price point. Value for money IMHO.

For me, the 504/505 will not be something I need as I would prefer my passive tone from my passive hollowbody for the songs I play . Mine's equipped with flats and foam mute.

Just sharing....
  8. Draculea

Draculea

I own a TRBX 305 and I love it! It's definitely worth more that what it actually costs.
  9. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

I find that a most bizarre and useless criticism of a bass.

Your bass is to provide the tone, then your amp to amplify it (plus a bit of extra shaping if you wish). The fact that the TRBX504 (and I have owned one) has the same volume output passive vs active is a serious PLUS for me, not a negative.
    I just can't get this obsession in some quarters with huge pickup/preamp output being worshipped. It achieves nothing, apart from you having to reduce the gain on your amp's input.

BTW, in my opinion the TRBX 504 is a superb bass for the money. Plays like butter, nice and light, looks great, some excellent tones. Has it all. Just wasn't quite what I was looking for. Having sold it, I still miss it's neck pickup into a hefty overdrive.
  10. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

so I was writing the quoted post due to not able to sleep thinking of the trbx 304.GAS!!
    Just now, I calculated my spare stash and happily made my way to the shop to purchase mine....
    Yeay!!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320

Given that in my spare time blesband I don't disdain power, sure I need it aplenty in my main thrash metal outfit

So it's way better to save extra power from the amp when your bass is already worth an undeniable roar

I normally test bass and amp n'cab by their willingness to let me tear walls down (all set flat) at just 9/10 o'clock input/output capability

I face a two downtuned active 7 string guitar attack and a double bass drum heavy hitter so, if bass/amp combination doesn't literally shake ground with no clips, it's not my thing

Believe me, yamaha trbx505 couldn't do that without boostin' it all up and crankin' volume and gain well over 12 o'clock:rollno:

Cheers,
    Wallace
  12. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

I'm utterly puzzled by your theory, unless you are needing a loud input signal to actually overdrive your amp's preamp.

If you are using your amp for clean amplification .... A low level signal from your bass and higher input gain on amp's input will give the same level signal to your power amp as a very loud bass signal which is having to be attenuated by your amp's input gain. You gain nothing whatsoever by having an overly hot bass output signal.
    The only instance where you would lose out is where the bass output's signal is so weak that even with your amp's input gain is on 10 it is still not clipping.

If you adjust your amp's input gain to an appropriate level, you will get exactly the same level of signal going through the rest of the amp however hot or cold your bass's output signal is.

and to the OP ... congrats on your new 304 ! I wish they did the 504 in the same finishes as the 304's, which I actually prefer.
  13. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

I am also curious about the TRBX505.
  14. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I played a TRBX304 and an SR300 last week with the intention of buying one. Both were great for my uses at least, and while the SR300 played a little better for me (and was the one I bought), the Yamaha felt well made and the electronics were pretty neat.
  15. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I'd like to see a 6-string TRBX. Maybe they'll introduce one next year if this model is received well.
  16. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Anyone try a 505?

Shaun