1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Yamaha TRBX505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HoboCop, Jan 25, 2014.

1. HoboCop

HoboCop

I bought this bass a couple of weeks ago in the black color. I have to say that I'm super pleased with it. I was in the market for something light with a thin neck, in the mid price range for general use. I was planning on buying an Ibanez SR505 until I saw this one. For about $100 bucks less it's a stellar deal.

I can't even find one thing about it I don't like. The balance and weight are great, the black finish is a super cool flat black that you can barely see the wood grain through. The hardware is all good, the tuners are nice, it's not noisy at all, the preamp is nice and balanced, creates useable tones at every range.

The neck on this thing is great.. the action right out of the box was terrific. Since it's such a jacked up cold winter I expected the neck to move a little, and yesterday finally I checked the neck relief and it had bowed a bit. I turned the truss rod a quarter turn and I think I **** my pants. It was the smoothest adjustment I've ever made to an instrument. The rod turned easily and the neck was immediately right again.

I guess if you forced me to say something bad about it I'd say that there's nothing signature or really notable about it's tone. I sounds good and is versatile, but it doesn't have a lot of character that I can detect, I sounds like me playing a bass.

Anyway, I had to throw up some kudos for this guy, I can't remember the last time I was as happy with a bass right out of the box.