1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yamaha vs Ibanez bass for begineer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by namicle, Feb 4, 2014.

1. namicle

namicle

2. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

I always tell new players to buy used. You'll get much more for your money. You could probably find a used MIM Fender for what you'd be spending for a new Ibanez or Yamaha, which is imo a step(or two) up in the gear chain.

If you want brand new, maybe look at the Squier Classic Vibe basses.
  3. namicle

namicle

I was looking through the used market and my main worry is since i dont know how to play yet, how will I know if something wrong
  4. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

This is a perfect opportunity to get to know (and then patronize) your local privately owned music stores. The relationship and assistance starts there ;)
  5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Sorry if this is a bit academic, but in case you know as much (and as little) as I did when I got started, here's what I did when I bought my first bass.

I brought it into a local music store for them to give it a good once-over. The guy took a look at it, suggested some new strings (D'Addario Chrome flats, 45-100…very easy on the fingers when starting out) and that it get a "set-up". Not knowing what that was, he then explained that they'd install the new strings, set the string height/intonation, make sure all the electronics were functioning, check the potentiometers for dust/grime and clean them out if needed.

When I got it back, everything was ship shape and in good order for me to start practicing. He also added that, except for the strings and a little dust in the pots, it was in remarkably good shape despite the chips and cracks in the finish.

Oh, one other thing, Bassisgood4U's suggestion of a Classic Vibe bass is an excellent one. I got a CV Jazz recently and it kicks serious butt…so much so that I won't even say "for the money". It looks/sounds/feels like any quality bass should. I see them up for sale all the time on Guitar Center's used database. Most of them get listed for about $250+shipping. They also have a decent return policy (30 days, I think) if it's not "the one" for you.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I would definitely recommend going to a store and buying a bass there after trying it out rather than off the internet. Either Ibanez or Yamaha make good basses and both have their fans. I haven't owned one, but I have heard that the electronics on the Ibanez SR200 series tend to crap out after a while, so it's not a model I would recommend. Go with an SR300 (or 305 if you want a five-string) or higher model if you like Ibanez. As for Yamaha, for under $200 new the RBX170 is a great solid starter bass. If you're willing to spend $300, they have the new TRBX series, or Squier's Vintage Modified series is very good.

EDIT: buying used does get you more bang for the buck, but since the OP is a beginner I would only recommend it if money is super-tight or if he knows someone more experienced to take along. I was just trying out some cheap used basses at a local store (looking for a cheap candidate to defret) and almost all of them had some kind of issue - scratchy pots, loose output jacks, things like that - which I might not have noticed when I was just starting.
  7. Nobody

Nobody

I bought my son a Yamaha RBX170 as his first bass and it has been great. I think it's the most bang for your buck for a beginner bass. I'm a pretty big Ibanez fan but went with the Yamaha this time because it is passive so he doesn't have to worry about the battery. I have no regrets buying it.
  8. Reddog01

Reddog01

It's really hard to give you an answer on this one. It's like asking us what kind of golf clubs you should buy. The bottom line is how the bass feels to YOU. I personally like my Ibanez because of how it felt to me. I tried the Yamaha, which is certainly a comparable bass, but I preferred the feel of the Ibanez neck. Several others have suggested that you find a local store and start playing what they have. Once you lock into a brand and/or model that feels best to you, then either buy that bass or start looking for that band/model on the internet or Craig's List. For me personally, I want to be able to see and feel what I am buying, so I tend to shop in local stores. I'm not sure where you live, but if you want to see a decent supply of brands and models, you may want to seek out a Guitar Center. Some GCs are more helpful than others, but each generally have many brands and models.