1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yard Sale Find!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

So on my way home from work i spot a yard full of guitars....so naturally I had to stop and take a look

[​IMG]

I found a 1974 Penco 4001 Rickenbacker copy....

These came out of the Hoshino Gakki factory which also produced Greco and Ibanez...

Apparently Greco was a west coast thing and Penco was an East coast thing...

anyway somebody stripped the body of it's paint...it's missing some of it's binding...and the pots appear to be frozen...

but i figured for $40.00 it had the bones to be a nice project...
  2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Sweet! I would have been all over that and I have a real ric!
  3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Fun story, all the best with it Man! :cool:
  4. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

AWESOME !! I love stories like this. That's a killer price. I bet with a little work, you can get that baby playing really nice.:)
  5. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Aww... Lucky! I never see yard sales with instruments.
  6. Snakeman1066

this guy must have had at least 30 instruments for sale...even some douglas six stringers..lol

he had this bass and another bass which i think was an axl of some kind...five stringer...color shifting paint..absolutely hideous...

told me he got this in a trade and just never did anything with it...
  7. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Nice grab congrats.
  8. Snakeman1066

[​IMG]

appears to be two very nice wood caps sandwiching a darker piece of wood....routes are really well done...
  9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Nice score! A bit of work and you will have a nice bass. I love deals like these and scored an old Mayfair beetle bass at a yard sale for $50.00 a few years ago..old school thump.

Just this week I scored a 89' Squier II made in Korea for $65.00. The neck was bowed like a banana and the pots and jack were shot. I figured it was worth the parts alone at that price. The other day I got the nice maple neck straighted out perfectly, tonight I installed new pots and a jack. The bass is awesome and well worth the efforts. Good luck.
  10. Snakeman1066

now to decide what color to paint....i was thinking originally i would stain it but with the two different color of woods showing it's going to have to be paint...

thinking sparkle white with pearloid guard?

Shelby Blue with a racing stripe?

Hard Candy Rootbeer?

something you would never see on a Ric....
  11. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    Just did my 85 Jazz Special sparkle white. It has silver, gold and red flake in it. Here it is before spraying the gold and red.

Attached Files:

12. GM60466

GM60466

$40! wOW.
  13. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

SnakeMan, I think your pretty close to me. A friend of mine wanted me to go with her to check out an acoustic guitar, but never called the guy. They sent me a link to a Craigslist Garage sale with a lot of instruments. The guy had acoustic guitars, a 5 string acoustic bass and a bunch of entry level Basses, But I remembered seeing a similar Ric copy in the line up.
  14. Spleenface92

Spleenface92

I think shelby blue with a racing stripe would be delicious.
  15. christopherogut

christopherogut Supporting Member

wow, what a sweet deal! i had a bolt-on Seville branded copy a few years ago that was so much fun to play... and I gladly paid 10x what you snagged this for.

if that was my project i'd spray it sonic blue nitro, beat it up a little bit, have a nice brownish tortoiseshell pickguard made, and sand down the back of the neck.... or 'vintage' tint the back of the neck. mmm.
  16. Snakeman1066

If it was in Fresno near Dakota and West...Probably the same guy..he also had a five string squier with MM style pups in it...
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How about black?

;)
  18. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

mary kaye white? never seen a ric wtih a trans white finish before. a black guard as well.
  19. Snakeman1066

nope plenty of Jetglo's out there..lol and a black bass on a dimly lit stage wearing dark clothing..lol been there done that...

I want something very unusual on a Ric Body style...

latest idea is an American Flag motif...
  20. Snakeman1066

I thought about that..white with black hardware and black guard...but the neck is also bound in white...don't want to have to re-bind the neck....don't want to make more work for myself than i already have..lol