1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yardbird Suite - bridge question

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by TonyD, Aug 18, 2012.

1. TonyD

TonyD

Hi guys,

the bridge in Yardbird Suite (Cmaj) has the following possible chord progression:

Em7 - || F#dim7 B7b9 || Em7 - || A7 - ||
    Dm7- || Edim7 A7 || D7 - || G+7 ||

Am I correct that the minor mode over the first 2 bars is E melodic minor? So that includes a C# and D#?

The C# sounds strange in my ears when constructing bass lines over these chords. Perhaps it should be the harmonic minor mode (which include a C), instead of melodic minor.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

It's just "e minor". The C# sounds funny because it clashes with the b5 of the F#mib5 chord and the b9 of the B7b9 chord, both of which indicate a C natural.

A really simple way to think of E as a tonic minor is this:

E, F#, G, A, B, CorC#, Dand/orD#, E

The first five notes never change. Both versions of the seventh are valid over altered V chords (in this case the D would be the #9 and the D# would be the 3rd). The lower of the two sixths is indicated over the ii-7b5 to V7alt part of the progression, but over the tonic chord players may choose to play raised 6th and 7th (melodic minor), flatted 6th and 7th (pure minor), lowered 6th and raised 7th (harmonic minor), raised 6th and flatted 7th (dorian minor), or even lowered 6th, lowered 7th andraised 7th (I like to call this "bebop minor" although other people use this designation for another scale).

I think of the 6th and 7th in the instance of tonic minor progression as "toggle tones", meaning they can either be raised or lowered like a light switch depending on what color is desired. Hope this helps.
  3. JGoldberg

JGoldberg

You have to think of it in terms of a minor ii V7 i. Harmonic/Melodic minor are more relevant over the V chord (B7) which features a D#.

Spend some time working on minor (ii V i)s to get a good sense of how those chords work together. Their relationship is a very big part of Jazz.

As for melodic vrs harmonic, it's really just a matter of personal taste. Being comfortable with both sounds will give you a wider palate to work from.
  4. macdeezy

macdeezy

Start shedding those ii v's
  5. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Have a look at the chord extensions.
    Em7 means a D, not a D#.
    And since Em is the tonic (for the following turnaround) it is E aeolian (or natural minor with C and D).

It helps a lot to make a functional and tonal analysis of the chord changes to find out which kind of scale fits best.