yba-3 keeps blowing fuses HELP

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hydrohydra, Jan 12, 2013.

1. hydrohydra

hydrohydra

For the past couple of weeks I've been playing my yba-3 through my custom made 4x10 1x15, the head has recently been restored with all nre power and pre amp tubes, before I was running my head through a sunn 2x15 and had only burnt a fuse once, over the course of a couple months, now that I've been using my 4x10 1x15 I blew 2 maybe 3, I've also recently added a boss odb-3 pedal to my rigg and my drummer thinks its pushing my head to hard and burning the fuse, I can generally play for a while for example both of the last times it blew I was turning off my OD, I was hoping someone could give me some advice.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Sorry miss read
  3. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

What are the ohms rating of these 3 cabinets?
  4. hydrohydra

hydrohydra

The sunn is 8ohm and the 4x10,1x15 is 4ohm
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Primakurtz

That could be the issue - the amp is solid at 8 ohms but not at 4. I have heard of this happening with some old Traynors. They can handle 4 ohms, but not for extended periods.
  7. hydrohydra

hydrohydra

That sucks, I was just considering changing my cabs together too in hopes of extra head room, maybe I should just find a second 8ohm cab
  8. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I have allways been confused about why Traynor did not provide 4/8/16 ohm transformer taps on this, unlike proper British amplifiers.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/traynor-yba-3-impedance-rating-info-posterity-870355/
    Interesting! No fixed variable bias either? + Those colonial chaps also appear to have made the tag strip out of a hardboard material that absorbs moisture and carbon tracks!.
    But then of course my ex misses was Canadian, so I kind of understand.
    :D:bag:
  9. Primakurtz

According to that thread, the speaker jacks are wired in series. If so, two 8 ohm cabs are showing the amp a 16 ohm load.
  10. Edword

Edword

This is correct. What the OP should look for is another 4 Ohm cab, to use with the existing one.
  11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Very few North American amplifiers do have tapped secondaries on the OPT. It surprised me too when I first got here.
  12. hydrohydra

hydrohydra

So I should find a second 4 ohm cab then? Also what would it run at if I ran the 4ohm and the 8ohm?