Yeah, I Know This is Blasphemy

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by LikeRaphael, Dec 23, 2012.

1. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael Banned

2. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

1- that's not the "Haydn" concerto for bass, it's Vanhal. Haydn never wrote one to my knowledge (there are rumors but I'm fairly certain there is no extant concerto)

2- why do people insist on playing bass concertos with orchestra on bass guitar? There are so many amazing Vanhal recordings out there (Rinat Imbragimov, Edicson Ruiz, Etc)... I honestly don't see why this has to exist, especially since the guy who made that version decided to basically rewrite Vanhal's concerto by randomly taking out sections.

At the very least its not as bad as this disaster
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=0N6HD_Ey5yE&desktop_uri=/watch?v=0N6HD_Ey5yE

3. AClark

AClark

It's like trying to play the Bach cello suites on a saxophone. It just doesn't work.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

4. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    As a doubler, this isn't even a well-executed porkchop performance. String noise and bad tone are bad any way you look at it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael Banned

I don't know. Why do people create art? Because they want to. You don't have to though. Nor do you have to listen or even comment. Everyone wins.

7. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael Banned

Really? Hmm. I kinda like the tone. I'd love to hear some of your string-noiseless playing.

8. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

He barely even plays half of the actual notes... And he replied to a comment saying he learned it by ear..

I give this 10 face palms out of 10.

9. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael Banned

True, and if you noticed, I also performed all the other parts as well. So, it's not from a score so some of the voicing may not be exact, but it was rewarding nonetheless. Think of it an "arrangement" based on a theme. : )

I'm not sure if you've ever tried learning or recording an entire orchestral piece by ear. It's a challenge.

Not sure what a face palm is. Is it something witty?

10. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk

It's this:

[​IMG]

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon here, but why would you try to learn any music by ear if you didn't have to? I can understand note recognition and whatnot would be beneficial for training but unless you can't read music, what's the point?

If you had given the same care and attention to playing the piece on bass guitar as everyone does on the double bass, I think this would just be a neat recording but most of the responses you're getting here are telling you otherwise.

Relevant addendum:

My teacher always tells me that classical music is a fine art, and that anyone can create art. Anyone can draw a dog with crayons, make a sculpture from clay, and play Vanhal concertos on the bass guitar. The point where it becomes fine art, and something truly appreciable, is when you add the complexity and minutiae that give it real artistic depth and weight. Anyone can saw their way through a bass concerto (on any instrument), but adding the same level of artistic interpretation that double bassists do is another matter. I don't know if I hear that in this recording of yours--I appreciate your work ethic of being able to pick it out by ear though, and having the gumption to put it on the internet.

You also have to take into account the fact that the double bass and bass guitar are completely unrelated other than the fact that they play in the same register. The double bass is a viol, the bass guitar is a guitar. It's a tuned-down, big guitar, essentially. The translation of phrasing, intonation, and musical gestures across instruments like this is normally pretty difficult. For example, I once listened to a trombonist play a Bach cello suite--he's a really good trombonist so he managed to pull it off and it didn't sound too shabby, but in the end it was the wrong instrument to play it on.

11. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael Banned

Interesting. I guess you don't gig much.

12. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk

There are a lot of things I could say in response to this that would be rude and derisive, but I'll just refer you to the addendum I made on my first post.

13. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael Banned

Cool. As will I.

14. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael Banned

More heresy. Though this one has all the right notes. I think.

15. crowsmengegus

crowsmengegus

Kinda reminds me of this:

I applaud the op for his/her efforts, but it might be hard to find love for what you're doing in the DB orchestral technique forum.

16. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

No, I haven't tried recording or learning an entire orchestral piece by ear because I just play the bass, and I'm not much of a composer. But props to you for being able to do that, it's an admirable ability to have, even if I don't see the point behind it or what it contributes to this concerto.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I prefer Vanhal's piece performed on the instrument he intended and with the notes he wrote, not your version, no offense.

17. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

If you're going to write a "Vanhal inspire bass guitar concerto with orchestra", go ahead and do that, that's your musical prerogative.... Just don't represent it as "Vanhal played on bass guitar".

18. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael Banned

19. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael Banned

Fair enough. Splitting hairs though.

20. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael Banned

It's all a part of making music . It's an outlet to appreciating it and engaging in it. One can say, what's the point of performing any orchestral piece since it's all been done as well as it can be done? I'm doing my take on it. That's what art is. Good bad, indifferent or otherwise.

21. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Calling something "a performance of Beethoven" and "a Beethoven arrangement" is a very clear distinction. One is what he wrote, the other isn't. I don't mean to be rude, I'm just pointing it out.