YEAH! it makes noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dju, Feb 18, 2014.

1. dju

dju

I assembled a Fender Jazz parts bass a week or so ago after finally getting all of the parts. American special 3tone sunburst body, hwy one rosewood neck, schaller vintage style tuners, 75ri fender pickups, hipshot type A fender mount bridge, rsguitarworks wiring kit with superpots, and rotosound strings. I decided to try shielding the control cavity with some foil tape. I have never tried this before. So after wiring everything up, plugged it in and no sound :meh:. Everything looked ok. My only minor concern was using the original central grounding lug. it looked like to many ground wires for one little grounding tag. So I decided to get the control cavity brass grounding plate and use it. Still no sound. :bawl:
    Well tonight I to try and isolate parts to see if I could locate the problem so I disconnected the neck pickup from the pot and using jumper wires directly attached to the output jack. success; sound :hyper: . I then tried the bridge pickup with same results. retried wiring everything back together and still sound.
    Now while I was trouble shooting I had the control plate setting on the bench along the side of the bass. so I reinstall the control plate and no more sound. I don't see any reason for why the sound would go away. so I decide to remove the foil tape from the control cavity, reinstall the control plate and I still have sound. While I didn't see the culprit I must have had something touching the foil tape used for shielding that shouldn't had been touching.
    however I now have a working bass. now on to setup.

dj
  2. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Yup this is pretty much the 'common cold' of guitar electrical problems. It happens all the time. If you reinstall the shielding you should be able to find what's shorting to the foil and adjust it. Usually it's the back of a pot or the open 1/4 jack crammed into the end of the cavity. I would ditch the grounding plate and use all foil, if shielding is necessary. There is a sticky with good cavity shielding info/directions in this section.