1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yes, it's ANOTHER ABG thread! Looking for NEW input.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Worldeeeter, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

I am doing an acoustic project with two other members of my current band; we'll be playing mostly unique covers-of-covers (Billie Jean by Chris Cornell, Sober by Staind, etc.). We're doing open mic nights for fun, and opening for ourselves (acoustic, then another band, then electric).
    I have been shopping for an ABG to use for this project. I really like the feel of the Takamine G-series neck: low, fast action. I am also very interested in trying a Washburn AB40SH (Stu Hamm sig ABG). I have been eyeballing an Ovation on evilBay too. Unfortunately, no one stocks most of these.
    I have read all of the ABG threads on here, and they all revolve around the same issue: not loud enough for acoustic use. I will be playing through an amp, as will be the guitars, and vox are going through the PA. So, removing acoustic volume/presence from the equation, I would like to know your thoughts on the Takamine and Washburn models I mentioned, as well as any others that boast low, fast fretting and a great feel.
  2. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

I tried an Oscar Schmidt by Washburn. It played very nicely. If the Washburn in even as good, you have a winner.
  3. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

If unplugged volume isn't a factor, I'd get a carvin ac40.
  4. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I'm waiting for a Tacoma Thunderchief
  5. Worldeeeter

I am NOT a fan of Carvin electronics. I agree that their stuff is well-made, and plays well. However, I don't want to change out the electronics in a guitar that I buy. I'd rather find something that gives me the sound I want out of the box.
    I played the Takamine G through an acoustic guitar amp (Fishman) that GC had set up, and it sounded really nice.
  6. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

Very happy with my Boulder Creek plugged in and acoustic as well.
  7. bluebird28

bluebird28

I have a Tacoma ThunderChief that I'm thinking of selling as well as an Ovation 5 string ABG.
  8. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Oh really?
  9. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Epiphone El Capitan is my ABG of choice, and I tried out many before settling on it.
  10. Worldeeeter

Yeah, that Ovation has my attention. Feel free to chuck more info over the fence.
  11. bassbenj

bassbenj

I presume this opinion comes from not ever having even heard an AC40 (or AC50). It's a piezo system like all AGB, so what Carvin magnetic basses sound like don't matter. What would you change out the electronics to? Fishman?

The key item in the AC40/50 (I own an AC50 fretless) is the issue of feedback. Normal guitar-style sound hole ABG instruments when used with a PA will tend to feed back like MAD at the first provocation. The Carvin does not! Personally I don't want to buy a new instrument and then have to put duct tape over the sound hole so you can play it at a gig. You may be different.

As for me I can't recommend the Carvin AC40/50 series highly enough. But it's your money and your choice.
  12. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

+1
    Though I've never had a problem with regular carvin bass electronics either.
  13. Worldeeeter

I had an Icon5, which has the piezo in the bridge. The sound was bad all around: magnetics, piezo, preamp. I am not a fan of the electronics they use.
    Different brands yield different sounds; that's why there are various companies that manufacture preamp electronics. If I were to go Carvin, I would be purchasing an instrument without playing it; not my cup 'o tea.
    I have played Takamine and Ovation; both are good with me. The Washburn is the only wild card, and I can buy one from Amazon with a 30-day full refund policy, so I'm not concerned.
    Carvin's business model requires you to live in SoCal in order to evaluate one of their instruments. Been there, not impressed.
  14. MD

MD

Can't go wrong with a G series Takamine IMO. I've owned one for maybe 8 or 9 years now. Gigged it regularly when I first got it; good electronics, amplified well and played well. It ended up becoming my camping bass. Along the way, I've pulled the frets, replaced 2 tuners, the neck joint cracked (user blunder) and it's been knocked to the ground a few times around a campfire. It still plays, but with high action for acoustic volume; pretty much built like a tank... or a really sturdy ABG.

They added another G series with a bridge having pins instead of a string through. I prefer the string through as I've read issues of pins slipping out with larger strings. Got mine on ebay for around $350.00 with HSC.
  15. Dave Bassincus

Dave Bassincus

I have excellent luck with a Godin strung w/nylons, wayyyyy better acoustic tone & feel than your typical ABG.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You might want to try a Breedlove. Mine's great.
  17. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Ibanez AEB10 with a $5 soundhole cover, I have used it under the same scenarios you have mentioned countless times. The Ibanez has my favorite preamp in it's price range, really good tones out of it.
  18. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I still love my Morgan Monroe ABG. Fairly cheap and sounds/plays/looks great.

I have had mine for 6-7 years and will be using it at an acoustic gig playing similar stuff that you play.... Cornell solo acoustic, Eddie Vedder, City and Colour, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, STP, etc.
  19. Worldeeeter

New wrinkle: Due to a couple songs played in low B, I may end up getting a 5-string ABG.
    I've been giving the Warwick Alien Deluxe a hard look; I haven't seen a better acoustic 5er yet.
  20. MD

MD