Yes - Long Distance Runaround / The Fish

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

Playing this song with my band. Problem is, I play strictly fingerstyle. Are those fast sixteenth notes with the wah pedal the bass or the guitar? I fear they might be too fast for me.
  2. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

The Fish is all bass tracks.
  3. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

PDGood is correct. On the studio version (on Fragile), Chris did all tracks with his bass.

But when Yes plays it live, Steve handles the simple harmonics, and Chris does the rest.
  4. Tupac

Tupac

Ah, wow! Any ideas for a full band arrangement of it? I'm thinking of just doing the simple E-D-E at the beginning of each measure, having our rhythm guitarist handle the harmonics, and having our lead take the stuff that Chris Squire would be doing in the higher registers.

Also, could I play Long Distance Runaround in drop D? The Fish seems to be in drop D, and I was really hoping we could do a smooth transition for these songs like the album.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thorski

thorski

You could transpose long distance to d, and you're right , on the one part , he did drop to a low d to get the d to e, but having a standard tuning would be a little easier since fish is in e minor
  7. Tupac

Tupac

Fish is in E but needs to be played with D tuning. Did Chris record Long Distance in D as well?
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

No. Long Distance is in standard tuning.
  9. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

SIck tune-Chris Squire is God-reason I started playing!

Agree I have been playing for 20 years and find I can play complicated jazz fingerstyle easier than some of Chris's licks because I cannot use a pick!-lol
  10. fritzk9

fritzk9 Supporting Member

How does Chris play it on Yessongs? Since it was live, does he play in standard concert tuning?