1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yes, this is a guitar question-Tom Delonge Strat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wraub, Jan 30, 2013.

1. wraub

wraub

Hey all, currently have a Squier Tom Delonge Strat in the house, a loaner for a bit.

Curious if anyone here has/had one, any tips on strings, setup, etc.
    Pretty sure it has 10s on it now.

Anyone have any advice? Much appreciated.

wraub
  2. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

I've always preferred 9's on my guitars, and my current Strat has GHS Boomer 9's on it. I love the tone of them, and they're fairly easy to coax bends out of.
  4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Here's some info you may be able to use:
    Once you have the action set where you want it, make sure the spring tension equals the string tension on the tremelo tailpiece...that will help it stay in tune. The tremelo works best and keeps it's tuning best if it's 'floating'..meaning there is equal tension from both sides...thus the spring/string tension. You adjust the spring tension with the 3 screws in the tremelo cavity that attach the spring bar to the body. There are some good videos on this on YouTube too. If you don't plan on using the tremelo then put a piece of wood in the tremelo cavity to block the spring action...more or less 'hard tailing' it, and leave the whammy bar in the case. If you wood block it the tuning will never slip and you can play all night without tuning issues related to the tremelo system. Also use some lube of some sort on the saddles and nut slots. There are several good lubes out there and Strat players have tried them all...graphite, vaseline, motor oil, etc as long as there have been Strats....but 'nut sauce' seems to work the best.
  5. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist Supporting Member

I always used 9's as well on my solid body electrics.
  6. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Bolt that damn floating bridge down (I hate those things). I agree with using .9's on Strats - I like the "Light Top, Heavy Bottom" Earnie Ball strings. .9 to .46: easy to bend, but the bass end sounds a lot better.
  7. wraub

wraub

Thanks to all for responding.

As Strats go, this is actually a bit of an odd bird, as it has 1 humbucker only, one volume knob only, and no trem. This is a hardtail string through Strat. It's probably more akin to a Les Paul Jr. or similar.

It'll probably be used in a more rythym guitar mode, leads aren't really my thing.
    The PU is like a S.D. Invader, really hot output. Not a lot of subtlety, but lots of noise, so, probably perfect for me as a guitarist. ;)

I'm not generally a fan of Ernie Ball strings, but will look into those Light Top, etc. strings.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

wraub