1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Yes You Can Tame A Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I am too lazy to post a clip, but James Bugg performed on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and his bassist had a Custom Classic Stingray. His tone almost like a double bass in traditional country. I know the Custom Classic has mutes like he original Stingray, and I suspect the bassist was using them. He probably had flats too.

2. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss

In the hands of a talented individual, it's amazing the sounds that come out of a factory produced instrument. Stingray's were always cool and if they're using the original specs and somewhere close with pickup/bridge/wood combinations, flame on!

3. oboylebass

oboylebass

I used to play 'Rays all the time and on some sessions I did I was able to make it sound 'not so StingRay-ish'...mostly by dialing the onboard preamp a certain way, but also by my technique.

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss

Cool toon....nice bridge....'I like the words, but my girlfriend likes the lyrics'. Bass technique, turn it up and light finger pressure.

7. Radio Face

Radio Face

Dead strings will tame the brightest of basses.

8. oboylebass

oboylebass

yup...not bad at all.

9. Dr. Cheese

Oops, the artist's name is Jake Bugg, not James. I admit I was listening to the bass more than the singer!

10. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I never thought it was questioned whether or not you could have this kind of tone from a Stingray. But, I generally don't pay attention to the likes of TB and its fickleness :D

11. IPA

IPA

I would hope all the knobs on the amp and the bass are there for more than just looking at. Is it really that hard to fathom getting a round tone like this? Reggae artists have used rays before...

12. Dr. Cheese

I've owned more than a few Stingrays, and I know they versatile, but there are folks here who swear you can only sound bright and aggressive with a Stingray.

13. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

I don't see the big deal stingrays are the most popular bass used by touring country players today.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Hands. As in, "It's all in the."

15. Swerve

Swerve

Is that Michael Cera on bass?

16. Geri O

Geri O

+1

17. IPA

IPA

Word :cool:

18. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sade's bassist uses a stingray. You can't get more smooth than that.

19. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

I gigged a Ray5 for a long time. It was an outstanding instrument; maybe, one of the greatest production instruments built, IME. It had all kinds of versatility.

I traded it in towards a Sadowsky, a move I regret not at all. But, I do miss the Ray. Outstanding instrument. Those claiming lack of versatility are uninformed.

20. IPA

IPA

Or Pino on his fretless Ray doing anything R&Bish

21. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

The bass sounds great, very thumpy and round and plenty of fundamental, but I still think it has a bridge pickups sound as opposed to a neck pickup sound. Not that it matters, because it fits the music and sounds great. No need to overthink it, but it is good to prove that the Stingray is NOT a one trick pony as a small but vocal group of TBers seem to insist. :)