1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Yet Another "How Do I Get This Tone?" Thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jeff Elkins, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Posting here because it's specific to Chris Chaney, though it's easily an instrument/gear/effects/technique question.
    I absolutely love the sound of Chris' bass playing on "Many the Miles" by Sara Bareilles, from her Little Voices album. More than any other song anywhere, the greasy, round sound that made it to the final cut of this CD is my holy grail of bass tone. I'm hoping that the TB community has some suggestions about:
    a) what you think the components of the complete package might have been
    b) how YOU reproduce it (or would) with gear you own
    Disclaimers:
    1. I've read his gear list (now on Wikipedia) from the 2003 Bassplayer Interview, and would not be surprised to know that he used the Avalon DI in the studio--but my ears won't even tell me if he used a J, P, Sadowsky, or Lakland, active or passive...
    2. I have some real world & recent studio experience, and am very aware that it could all be studio magic (hence the "part b," above) -- I actually emailed the engineer years ago to ask about it, but never heard back. It may be his secret, so no insult there. I understand about plugins and outboard gear, but I also have a hard time with compression, which may be part of the answer...
    3. I would think that the biggest influence to the sound would be Chris' technique, and there's only so much I'll be able to do about that! I can cop the notes, but his fluidity is a little beyond me at the moment. Working on it.
    Would love your thoughts!
    - Jeff

2. Jeff Elkins

3. Salamenster

Salamenster

I think it's one of the acoustic basses, giving the hollowness and the 'sliding noise'.

4. Jeff Elkins

Right on! I hadn't even thought of that. I don't own a semi-hollow, and have no experience with them (or much with a quality acoustic).
    Edit: Dang! I used to own a Rob Allen MB2 (how soon they forget)--and except that his has labella tapes on it, as did mine, that seems a real possibility. With rounds. Maybe...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Salamenster

Salamenster

Glad I could help mate. Definitely go roundwound for this sound.