1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yet Another "Mud-bucker" Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ZiggyZipgun, Nov 14, 2008.

1. ZiggyZipgun

ZiggyZipgun

While poking around online for info on the Gibson neck "mud-buckers", I noticed something interesting (to me, anyway): both David Gilmour (of Pink Floyd) and Tony Visconti (who produced and played bass on the majority of David Bowie's albums) have "mud-buckers" installed on their main studio basses.

[​IMG]
    This was one of Roger Waters' basses that had a hideous "psychedelic" paint job, which Gilmour stripped down and modified. Roger Waters is tone deaf, and Gilmour actually played most of the bass parts on Pink Floyd's albums from the '70s. The fact that he chose to have it included here at the Interstellar Exhibition in Paris, along with most of his guitar gear, says a lot.

[​IMG]
    Tony Visconti's seems to have an early '70s Tele bass humbucker (along with several other pickups). God knows what all those knobs do.

I wonder what the best position for the "mud-bucker" would be on a P-bass; I know that the best place for a humbucker or sustainer on a guitar is (top coil) directly on the 24th fret (I've done a bit of experimenting with this).

Any thoughts?

Anyone have a wiring schematic/diagram for adding one of these beasts?
  2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

I'd put it at the bridge myself, and add a single coil up at the neck if I needed a pickup there at all...
  3. DaveF

DaveF

True: Gilmour actually played most of the bass parts on Pink Floyd's albums from the '70's.
    False: Roger Waters is tone deaf. :rollno:
  4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound

Fixed it for you :smug:
  5. jro

jro

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

7. ZiggyZipgun

ZiggyZipgun

I'm not trying to slander Roger Waters here, but I have seen Gilmour, Wright, and Mason all talk about Waters' alleged tone-deafness, pointing out that Rick Wright had to tune his bass for him, and missing chord changes due to not being able to hear the difference between an E and a D. I've even seen a pick of Roger leaning over and letting Rick tune his bass onstage. This has been debated before, so I'll just use the two interview snippets that are usually referenced:

Musician, August 1992
    M: Was Roger an effective bassist back then?
    G: He had developed his own limited, or very simple style. He was never very keen on improving himself as a bass player and half the time I would play the bass on the records because I would tend to do it quicker. Right back to those early records; I mean, at least half the bass on all the recorded output is me anyway.
    M: This is not a widely acknowledged fact.
    G: Well, I think it's been said, but it's certainly not something we go around advertising. Rog used to come in and say "Thank you very much" to me once in a while for winning him bass-playing polls.
    M: Did you play the fretless bass on "Hey You"?
    G: Yeah. Hmm. Roger playing fretless bass? Please! [laughs]

Musician, December 1992
    Waters: "Dave and I never wrote together. I don't ever remember writing with Dave. Sometimes he'd bring in a chord sequence and I'd the make a song out of it. Or he'd bring a guitar riff in and I'd make a song out of it, like 'Wish You Were Here.' I love that riff, it's fantastic. But we never wrote together, ever. Never. And Dave was never interested in drama, ever. In my experience. He never showed any interest at all, ever, in drama. Of any kind. Certainly not.
    [...]
    I was never a bass player. I've never played anything. I play guitar a bit on the records and would play bass, because I sometimes want to hear the "sound" I make when I hit a string on a bass with a pick or my finger; it makes a different sound than anybody else makes, to me. But I've never been interested in playing the bass. I'm not interested in playing instruments and I never have been."

So nothing against the man, he did write several truly classic albums (and a few that I would like to be refunded for).
  8. ZiggyZipgun

ZiggyZipgun

Also, is my terminology correct when I refer to the gigantic Gibson neck pickup as a "mud-bucker"?
  9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Those are two DiMarzio Model J pickups near the bridge.

I'm sure the switches turn the pickups on and off, and maybe he has them wired up for series/parallel.

I had a real Gibson mudbucker in my '73 Ric for many years. Here is it awaiting restoration.
  10. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Actually that's pretty fascinating; I never knew that about them. I suppose it makes sense in it's own way... though he must have a selective kind of tone-deafness, because he seems to have been able to sing alright the few times I've seen live footage of the band.
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I had a 1982 Reissue P-bass.
    That I put a Mud-bucker in the neck position.
    Wired, Vol, Vol, no tone knob.
    I kicked butt, Played through a Sunn 200S with 2x15 cab.
    Long gone now.
  12. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Yeah, people call it that, because the tone is all bottom, and pretty much no highs. You can hear it very clearly on London Calling and Police & Thieves by the Clash. It's a grunty type of tone. It's very different from just turning down the tone.

I put one in my bass because I liked the tone Colin Moulding got on the XTC album Black Sea. He was playing an Epiphone Newport bass.

The real name is the Super Humbucker or Sidewinder. But they called a lot of pickups Super Humbuckers. It is a humbucker, but it has only one row of poles, because the coils on laying on their sides.
  13. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan

I've heard they have and inductance around 65 Henries :D There's not possibly anything else that sounds like it.
  14. amimbari

amimbari

hahaha ask any Epiphone Tbird player about mud-buckers.. ( me included )
  15. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    I believe it. They have a lot of wire wound on there. They wanted to get the tone of a pipe organ pedal!

That's a slightly different pickup. The original ones were designed by Bill Lawrence and were indeed sidewinders. I don't know what's in the Epi TBird.
  16. amimbari

amimbari

OH GOD forgive me SGD, I thought mud-bucker meant growly sounding pups...
  17. ZiggyZipgun

ZiggyZipgun

I've sent a handful of emails out to some Artec dealers to see if any could get both the Ceramic (EBC4) and the Alnico (EBA4) models of the Gibson-style mud-bucker, so I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything. I didn't know of anyone that wanted one in gold, so I didn't ask.
  18. countshockula

countshockula

I was under the impression that Paul Simmonen (or however its spelled) always played a fender P?!?! I've never seen any pics of him with a Gibson.
  19. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Paul Simonon did play a Fender P, but he was using a Gibson EB-2 for those records.

Wikipedia list his gear:

Check out that old Acoustic head on the Call Up screen grab! I used to have one of those amps.
  20. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom Theme Guitars for Donation to Non-Profits