Yet another pedal order question.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steamjohn, Dec 29, 2013.

1. steamjohn

steamjohn

So I've got a Tech21 boost chorus, MXR octave, MXR envelope, a Boss flanger, a Zoom B3, and lastly a tech21 VT deluxe. yes I know, I'm a little redundant, but I'm not ready to get rid of some of my favorites...yet, and I'm still learning how to use the Zoom. How should I set them up...I've the VT deluxe last, lost everywhere else.
  2. line6man

line6man

I would go octave, envelope filter, distortion, flanger, chorus. That's just me, however. Others may have their own preference.
  3. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

You'll get varying answers, and ultimately you should experiment and go with what you like best. If you don't run multiple effects simultaneously the order won't matter much because they won't be interacting. However,

The octave & envelope do "tracking". They analyze the incoming signal and synthesize modifications to it. They will be happier if you give them an uncomplicated input signal without big variances in volume, so put the flanger and boost chorus after them.

It would be good to put a compressor before them, to give them an even signal level, and you could run the Zoom as an always-on compressor, but that would waste a lot of the Zoom's capability and there are better compressors out there.

I would leave the VT at the end of the chain. That's just based on my experience with my Tech21 Para Driver DI.

IMHO, YMMV.
  4. steamjohn

steamjohn

Thanks Fellas!
  5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I don't have any experience with the B3 and I don't know what exactly you use it for (I use my 60B exclusively as a tone-shaper after giving a shot at almost all it has), but here's my 2 canuck cents:

BASS > octave > filter > B3 > chorus > flanger > VT > AMP