1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Yo! Sound Man!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BassCliff, Jan 10, 2014.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Thanks for sharing that.

Not that articles like that would really change anything for anyone who hasn't been on the other side of the console(s), or have been a pro touring entertainer, but one can always dream :).

Regards
    Sam

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I've never had any awful soundman experiences but I would be hard-pressed to name one who did understand music lingo. Hell, even most musicians around here don't...

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Thanks Cliff

+1. Yep :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ggunn

ggunn

Like what? Most sound men I know are musicians as well.

7. ron mexico

ron mexico Supporting Member

Great list, so true

8. azureblue

azureblue

I make it point to talk to him asap. Get his name, shake hands, thank him in advance, give him my name and the names of the rest of the band printed out on the stage layout / input sheet, and ask him is there is anything else he needs to know. I then tell him the band sort of sounds like xxxx, to give him an idea of how to mix and EQ the band. We set up, make sure the amps are working, then we do not play a note until he says to. And we all play something simple when called upon - for bass, I play low E quarter notes for a few seconds then 7th fret D, then a simple bass riff from one of the songs, and I watch him for when he wants me to stop. At the end of the show, I find out what he drinks and bring him one, and thank him again for his work. If he did a great job, I slip him a $10 bill. Believe me, when you come back, he will remember you for sure...

9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

The handful I know personally are musicians as well (albeit self-professed pure hobbyists), I was thinking more along the lines of the old joke, how do you make a guitarist stop playing? Put some sheet music in front of him. It was more of a potshot at the musicians, if they can't handle music lingo, why expect it of a soundman?

Thinking about the local musicians I'd be lucky if I found someone who understood me if I asked them to give me a random Dim7 chord. Hell I'd be lucky if they knew their minors and majors ;)

10. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I used to tip the sound guys sometimes, but some places I've played lately he tells me not to worry because he is getting paid more than me!
    *sigh*

11. 10cc

10cc

I always tip the sound crew before the show after sound check. Even if it's small it really goes a long way for both side of the board. Learned that tip years ago:D

12. Major Softie

Major Softie

As a decent sound guy (compared to mediocre bassist), I think you really only need one rule: Always assume the Sound Guy knows more about his equipment and mixing in his space than you do. Beginning with this assumption will lead naturally to almost everything that site has on the list, and guarantees that you treat him as an equal contributor to your performance.

You can always adjust your approach later if this assumption does not turn out to be true. ;)

13. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

This is exactly why it would never occur to me to tip the soundguy.

Article's good but this made me laugh:

14. Basshappi

Basshappi

The comments were interesting.