1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Yorkville XC210 vs. SWR Goliath Jr. III 2X10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ::Saint::, Dec 17, 2008.

1. ::Saint::

::Saint::

Just a question for anyone who has played on these cabinets.. I currently have the Yorkville XC210 (on top of my Mesa Powerhouse 115) .. but I might have an opportunity to buy a Goliath Jr. III 2X10 .. wondering what the differences are in quality, etc.

I always had the impression that Yorkville stuff was rather sub-standard compared to most of the industry big-boys, but the XC stuff is apparently a different animal? Would it be worthwhile to ditch the Yorkville for the SWR? The style I am trying to lock in on with my current band is a solid low-end with a mix of punchy, gritty, and fuzzy (in different doses depending on the song), and I'll be playing through a Shuttle 6.0 Head once it arrives.

Thoughts?
  2. ::Saint::

3. RevGroove

RevGroove

Disclosures:
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist

Okay, I'm a Yorkville/Traynor buff, work for the company (sort of...the retail arm...), but the XC210 vs. the Goliath Jr. III? No contest, unfortunately...

...if you get a chance, try the new TC210, head and shoulders above the XC version. I haven't A/B'd it yet against the Goliath Jr., but now I'm inspired to do so if I have some time at work tomorrow before I sit down at my desk...

----------------
    Now playing: Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation
    via FoxyTunes
  4. brettf

brettf

well unless the yorkville is named david....
    Really its a sweet cab tho
  5. ::Saint::

BrettF, you don't get to chime in on this one, for obvious reasons :rollno: hehe .. so RevGroove that is a vote for the SWR?
  6. RevGroove

RevGroove

Disclosures:
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist
    Why doesn't Brett get to chime in?

In this case, I'd have to say the Goliath Jr. III is the better sounding cabinet over the XC210. But I have yet to A/B it to the current model the TC210, which blows the XC version right out of the water. I feel a blind taste test coming on...if I have either available...

----------------
    Now playing: Janet Jackson - All Nite (Don't Stop)
    via FoxyTunes
  7. Bassslayer69

Bassslayer69

The xc210 and the tc210 are the same cab,and are both loaded with custom eminence drivers I believe.

The SWR G210 is loaded with custom eminence drivers as well.

I'd pick the yorkville on account of the larger box, and better porting.

IMO.
  8. RevGroove

RevGroove

Disclosures:
    Actually, the TC210 is a total revamp of the previous 2x10 Yorkville/Traynor tabs, totally different, and sounds a LOT better.
  9. ::Saint::

Bigger box on the Yorkville than the SWR? I haven't seen the SWR I am talking about up close and personal, but I have seen SWR 210 before and the Yorkville is one of the smallest boxes I've seen on a 210. Also, isn't the TC210 a Traynor cab? I know they are technically the same but.. they definitely LOOK different..
  10. RevGroove

RevGroove

Disclosures:
    No, they are NOT the same, technically or otherwise. The dimensions, tuning, everything was redone from the ground up for the TC210. It is as different from the XC210, as the XC210 is from the BC210 which preceeded it(which I also liked better than the XC210 incidently, wish I'd kept mine, despite the blue carpeting...) While the XC210 has great midrange, I find it lacking in low end. This is rectified (IMO) in the TC210, which has great tone across the spectrum.

I believe the TC210 is deeper and possibly a bit wider in dimension than the Goliath Jr. Unfortunately, I don't have any on the floor to compare at this time...
  11. ::Saint::

Sorry, I meant Yorkville and Traynor are technically the same company :) I've never seen a TC210 so I wouldn't know the technical specs! I'm more interested in the difference between the XC210 and the Goliath Jr. III, which BrettF currently has for sale!
  12. RevGroove

RevGroove

Disclosures:

OH!

Yes, Traynor is a Yorkville brand, all instrument amps have now been re-branded as Traynor amps again.

Again, pains me to say it, but unless the Goliath Jr. III is grossly more expensive, I'd go for that over the XC210 myself...
  13. ::Saint::

Well, I'll have to see if Long and McQuade will buy the XC210 back from me.. I didn't get it all that long ago..
  14. RevGroove

RevGroove

Disclosures:
    You bought it from L&M? Wait, I change my answer! :ninja:

Just kidding...I thought you were choosing between two different purchase options, didn't realise you were thinking of trading one piece of gear towards another (my fault, didn't read the original post accurately.)

While LM would take it back, if you're not financing it you'd probably get more for it in a private sale if you bought it more than 30 days ago and/or it's not in original sale condition...