You ever feel bad?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Dec 16, 2013.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

I use the word bad for lack of a better word. Anyway, when I see bands playing their own originals or amazing musicians making a living doing covers, and all these guys have more talent in their pinkies than a lot of mainstream music today. I watch them play and I'm thinking "man if only these people got noticed somehow." I just feel that way sometimes.

2. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    You noticed them. That's a start.

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

I feel that way about people i know and bands i am in all the time.
    Thats why im a huge fan of sites like reverbnation.

4. tr4252

tr4252

No, I see opportunities. You know they have talent, now if they have self discipline, good work ethics, are competent business men, connected, popular, and lucky, they just might make it!

Tom

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

There is no talent, only effort.

7. MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Mainstream music listens to tainted focus groups and regurgitate the same crap every year.

I feel sorry for the kids being packaged as stars and dumped the following year after their supernova has imploded;

One hit wonders are now the rage.

8. hsech

hsech Ain't no blues like old blues. Gold Supporting Member

A lot of times bands think they don't need effort because they think they have talent.

9. ZenG

ZenG

Don't feel bad for me personally....but I get what you mean.
    I agree there are many musicians who should have made it big.

Their biggest setback is:- they weren't Mouseketeers ....

10. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

We're living at the end of a musical era. The traditional rock band built around guitar and bass is on the way out. It's heading the way jazz and blues have gone already. In a generational it'll be as relevant as Ragtime or Dixieland.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

You ever feel bad?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't feel bad because I tell them to go get a professional degree and a good career with a good salary, and retirement, and benefits. And I tell them that music is a great hobby but usually a bad career choice

12. duff beer

duff beer

Wrong. Talent and effort both exist.

13. Spectrum

Spectrum

So obvious a set-up for this meme:

[​IMG]

14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Not really - it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that very few "make it".

Get a good paying day job and make music for fun. Tough, but just keeping it real.

15. Milk

Milk

That rarely happens. I've seen some pretty decent like local bands, and yes sure, better i guess than most mainstream stuff, but i think any band i've ever loved was at least moderately successful. Sometimes not as successful as they should maybe but fairly successful.

Even without guitar and bass, it's still music. So i'm not sure how its the end of a "musical" era. Anyway, rock music (in its all encompassing definition) has just stagnated. It was bound to happen soon enough, its been the same instruments for decades and there's only so many things you can do with them. And that's including electronic music which is also stagnating. The only reason i think bass and guitar are maybe less popular than before is because it's easier to learn to make music with computers. I wish there were less of those traditionalist musicians around who feel that making music with computers is not music. This isnt 1980 anymore.

16. avvie

avvie

There were a couple of bands out of Raleigh in the mid-90's that I just thought were absolutely phenomenal...would much rather see their show than play in mine. They were totally different genres but came from the same studio and producer. (Anyone in Raleigh remember Dag and Hipbone?) I still love their stuff, wish I had the voice and chops that Dag's Bobby Patterson has, but both bands are defunct, in the cutout bin and the members are playing crappy bar gigs if anything at all. Dag's drummer was an original member and co-writer for Nantucket so I think he gets a couple of RibFest gigs every once in a while, but...

17. SoCalBassman

SoCalBassman

I never thought about feeling bad before.
    The business end of music can be pretty cold hearted.
    I'd bet a lot of us can play as good as at least some of the guys who made it but you have to be on the right path at the right time.
    Having a family I never got into anything that could pay the bills so I kept a day job and played covers on the side.

18. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Now that's quite a lot of ifs, don't you think. Can't tell if serious.

19. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    All of that, and maybe add "quite good looking" as that seems to be a requisite for being picked up by any commercial music today. Gotta look cool in the videos.

20. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

:rollno: :scowl:

Yes music rock has stagnated because all the bands use pretty boys to play acoustic guitar and snivel into their mics while I've seen young teenage boys play outstanding Jimi Hendrix solos on Youtube. And it doesn't help that the music industry business wants to "dumb down" the music to repretitive lines and cheerleader dancing. What a sad state. I hope the young people that are working on learning their instrument still offer hope for a renisiance of true music again in the future. Long Live Rock and Roll!:bassist:

21. TreySonagras

TreySonagras

It seems like the only young artists that stay in the limelight are the ones that do something controversial in their personal lives. Their music isn't enough to sustain their popularity so they have to "act a fool" to get attention.