1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

"You guys sounded great tonight!"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wilberthenry, Feb 7, 2014.

1. wilberthenry

wilberthenry

The title is by far the most common comment I get when I play a gig. My band played last night and (to my ears) were looser than a turd in a music festival portapotty, but the comments were the same. Do any of you get USEFUL feedback after you play?

2. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

I rarely get useful feedback, even from musicians. When I hear that the band sounded great (from a non-musician), I just assume that the commenter had fun and wanted to toss a compliment my way. I just say "thanks for hanging with us", or "glad you liked it" or whatever. They mean well.

Actually, it's a good thing to have someone you know will be honest with you & not worry about being perceived as a jerk. I'd love to get useful comments about my bass tone. Almost never do.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Son, that IS useful feedback.

4. Spectrum

Spectrum

Advice someone gave me once: Learn how to take a compliment. Nod your head, smile, and say "thanks".

You may think you want useful advice, until you start getting comments from people telling you how they would've done it, or how you don't know what you're doing. If you have a close friend whose advice you value, ask it from him or her if you must. Better yet, make recordings and go over them later after you've got some sleep.

Just take the compliment, go home happy. Never look for reasons to make yourself miserable; you will certainly do exactly that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk

Believe me, if you sounded terrible, the people wouldn't still be there at the end of the night to tell you you sounded great.

7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I wouldn't know: I look the part, have a huge rig that also look the part if needed, and I/we usually play what the audience wants to hear.
    Only positive -or none at all- feedback so far.
    Usually a gig played, will result at least an another gig if not a two as well. That IMO is the best compliment there is for an "artist".

In the places I have played or play, people come for the entertainment, to enjoy the evening with their friends, a band/entertainer that doesn't ruin that is a good one.
    For everyone concerned.

Extremely wise advice, people tend to be sincere, no need to insult them.

^This, times 1000.

Regards
    Sam

8. M0ses

M0ses

As a musician with a pretty talented ear if I do say so myself, I would never, ever give honest feedback to anyone but a close friend who earnestly asks for it. It's not something you do if you want to have a reputation as a nice dude.

9. wilberthenry

wilberthenry

I do smile and nod my head and say thanks. People seem to like us so I guess we are doing OK. I just get bummed when we don't play up to our potential.

10. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Yeah, I smile and say thank you. If it's a musician who wants to talk about music, or themselves, then that's cool by me. If you really want solid and honest feedback, record your gigs.

11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Bad feedback from friends of the band was the reason the cover band I was in split up. The audience loved us but as was evident from videos someone shot, it was as if each member of the band was playing a different song (it was at a big outdoor event during a storm but personally, I blame the monitoring - I played the whole song blindfolded, so to speak, and I can imagine is was just as bad for the drummer). It hit the two singers bad because it made painfully obvious they sometimes sung off key and out of time. It hurt their egos, so they left. I did too but for other reasons.

So yeah, I take the audience's comments with a pinch of salt. I've never heard anyone else say something bad, but maybe they were all too drunk...

12. Not yet

Not yet

You know when you play good and when you don't.... All that matters

And my wife has no problem telling us when we suck or when we kill it. Her opinion is one I go to if need one outside personal takeaways

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What they are really saying is they had a great time hearing you play. They're not assessing your musicianship, if they're not musicians how could they? But their visceral, emotional response is absolutely valid no matter what your experience was.

14. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

When you see a lot of the same faces showing up at your gigs, you gotta assume you're doing something right.
    Be happy with yourself first, everything else will follow.

15. Blake Bass

Blake Bass

This!!:cool:

16. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

^^^This. It's all about having a good time as far as the audience is concerned. People don't necessarily want to hear technically flawless performances; just good enough with some verve, whatever that is!

17. ggunn

ggunn

I concur. I record every gig and listen back to it to critique. I use a digital recorder with mics at the mixing board so I hear what the sound man heard.

18. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

Last night at the gig, our drummer became "indisposed" in the middle of the first set, and we played with a volunteer sub drummer for the rest of the night. It was rough, we struggled, and what did I hear at the end of the night, from several people?

"You guys were great!"

Thanks, glad you liked it. :smug:

Edit: sure glad we did NOT record! LOL