You know what I've just realised? (Slight pricing rant)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GobBass, Jan 17, 2013.

1. GobBass

GobBass

The price of a 2013 MIA Fender Precision is now in and around the same price I would have gotten an American Deluxe when I started playing nine years ago. This makes me a sad panda and one more reason why I want a Sandberg. :D
  2. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

Prices for everything have gone up. Just check your gas pump, food or even bass strings. Don't look for any prices to be going down.
  3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I could fill up the gas tank in my truck 8 years ago for what it costs to fill up my motorcycle now.
  4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

All relative. You probably make more $$$ than you did 8 years ago too.

If you put that $1299.00 (or whatever) into Mutual funds 8 years ago, you could likely buy a Custom Shop Fender now.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

So, the price of a Sandberg hasn't budged in a decade?
  6. hdracer

HA!!!!
    Maybe a couple bucks more but that gets eaten up by taxes and every other consumable.

I would love for you to show me a Mutual fund that could turn $1000 into $3800+ from 2005 to now.
  7. Blue_Whistle88

Blue_Whistle88 Supporting Member

Yea, exactly. Whining about prices of anything going up is like complaining that you're getting older and will eventually die. Get over it.

In my opinion, Fenders are quite reasonably priced in shops, considering how ubiquitous they are and the consequent "label mark-up" one would expect. Especially here in Australia, where we get killed by import costs by companies like Warwick (brand new neck-thru 5-string for $6900 anyone?)
  8. hags2k

hags2k

1300, 4% interest compounding annually, 8 years is 1779. The price of an American deluxe jazz is 1699.99. I think it checks out :D

Edit: just realized he said "custom shop" fender. You're right, that ain't happening. But the American deluxe, definitely.
  9. Blue_Whistle88

Blue_Whistle88 Supporting Member

...and there we have it. Nail in the coffin.
  10. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Yup. Increase that to 5-6% (YMMV as I am not hdracer's financial advisor), don't factor in dollar cost averaging (as the $1299 was invested 8 years ago)....my numbers are right. Well over $2k anyways. Sorry..... You could likely buy a USED Custom Shop Fender.;)
  11. Ezmar

Ezmar

Dayumn. F*** Australia. Living there, I mean.

I mean living with how everything's so expensive there. I'm sure it's a nice place to live.

Except how everything there is the super-deadly version.

Australia... man...
  12. hdracer

Your numbers are still off.
    A MIA P bass is $1250 now.
    Eight years ago they were around $1050
    Punch $1000 into your figure and you are even farther off from you estimate. You are also figuring on a GOOD MF. Most do not do as good as you think.

You can buy a new P bass now for much less then you could in 1964.
  13. Ezmar

Ezmar

All this is still ignoring the apparent consensus that Fenders have skyrocketed in build quality recently. Regardless of WHY the price went up, they're still probably worth more money, from what I've heard.
  14. bootsox

bootsox

I don't know about that, when I started playing I was paying $30 a pack for strings, now days if I'm paying $20 I'm probably getting ripped off.
  15. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I agree 100% -

For what you get with an AmStd, I actually think it is a great bargain

(Sandberg is very expensive, and getting more so - their taxes are through the roof, so - more of the price you pay for Sandberg is actually just going to their government. :( )
  16. BassSurfer

BassSurfer Supporting Member

In 2005, a Kentucky Fried Chicken biscuit was 70 cents. It is not 99 cents for one in today's market.
  17. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

There's a lot of talk about Fender's pricing in the AVRI waiting room. I have been pretty patient and tolerant of Fender's pricing up until now, when I realized two things. I shared them there (mainly in anger), and I will share them here in a more calm manner:

The price of a MIM Standard Jazz V in 2003, when I bought one, was I think $380 new. The prices continued to go up gradually, but a hefty climb... today's Standard Jazz V is $700 new.

The price of the AVRIs jumped overnight (each are now $2000+). I just don't find this reasonable for a new production line instrument designed with old-style parts.

I'm happy I got my 2011 NOS American Standard P5 for a little over $1000. Great bass, I'm glad I got it when I did, but now I am closing the books on new Fenders as of now. Very saddening, because I got GAS from the Pawn Shop VI. Now, I just don't care anymore. No hate, just saying that I can't support this.

P.S. The gasoline thing has always been unfair. There was a huge hike in 2004. I remember that happening almost overnight too.
  18. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

I paid $675 dollars for a used musicman stingray in 1995,
    I paid $750 for a used stingray last year. when you divide my annual income by the rate of 10 year rate of return for the Fidelity Latin American Growth fund, then multiply the quotient by the atomic weight of Strontium 90, you get f*ck all.

I'm sorry. what are we talking about? Baird is making a valid point about inflation. why do we get so caught up in semantics of stupid crap in these discussions. (OP, this is not directed at you)

OP. I hear you. good news is the used market is stagnant or in decline. grab you are a bargain out there. :)