1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

You leave it in or take it out? [HARDcase]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cuniliguns, Jan 20, 2014.

?

Do you leave it on or out?

Poll closed Feb 20, 2014.
  1. In

38 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. Out

24 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. Cuniliguns

Cuniliguns

Hello low enders :)

I've bought some new toys with the money from christmas. A new Ampeg BA-110 in perfect conditions - nothing bad to point out (these models are made in China and sometimes they come with some minor flaws) - and a new hard case for 50€.

I've used the padding from shipping to fill the empty spaces on the case, this way the bass will be more tightly fit.

TOPIC - When you come back from practicing or gigging do you take your bass right away from the case and put it on the stand or you can leave it there for some days?
    If so, you leave it laying on its back or on sideways?

I'm just wondering because I've never had a hard case and i like this one pretty much. And some people told to leave the bass resting in upwards position to prevent neck bending...:confused:

Thank you so much for your time guys :)
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Sounds like an urban myth to me. Up or sideways doesn't matter - we're not dealing with woodwind instruments here where residues of liquid could eat your pads if you don't let it dry.

If a neck can handle several dozen lbs, why wouldn't it be able to be laid sideways?

I call bogus.
  3. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Supporting Member

Since 1978, any bass I've owned has lived in its case standing vertically if not at a gig. The only exception has been an El Cheapo acoustic which doesn't even deserve a dust cover. I'd have pitched it but my son grew attached to it.

X8
  4. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

If not in use for a while they stay in the case. But always have one or two on stands for easy access.
  5. jking138

jking138

I have heard similar saying it should be stored upright. I can't see it being anything more then urban myth, usually in hard cases there is some support for the neck also i would presume it protects the bass from temperature and humidity changes as well, which are the main causes of neck warping. Saying that if you left it long enough in any situation, there are chances it might warp.
  6. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

Take it out of the case and get a nice a Hercules stand.

This way you see it and play the hell out of it.

In the case, it gets shoved under the couch.
  7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Most of mine are standing on end because they take up less floorspace that way. My '63 is currently laying on it's edge lenthwise in a case. The only thing currently out of it's case is a crappy Peavey Vendenberg guitar by the computer desk for noodling; if I'm not playing an instrument I like to leave it in it's case whether it be hard or a bag.
  8. MrTaff

MrTaff

Mines only in the case if it's going somewhere, otherwise it's on the stand ready to be played.
  9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    My basses are always in the case when I am not using them. Much less chance of something happening to them.
  10. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Me, too.
  11. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

If I leave them out of the case my hardware and strings rust. I'm 10 minutes from the ocean. I have my practice bass in a gig bag ready to play.
  12. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

+1
  13. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I rarely use a hard case.
    But the bass comes out of the gig bag and onto a Hercules hanger mounted securely to the wall when I get home.
    After wiping it down.
  14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

+1

If you don't pick up your bass because of the 15 seconds it takes to get it out of the case, you don't want to practice very bad.
  15. UK Philip

UK Philip

i take it out and lean it up against my bed.

that's where my practice bass lives so that i can grab it and put it down all day long.
  16. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I only use a case if I am traveling by air and have to check it or when I sell a bass and have to ship it.

I have high end gear and always use a gigbag. When I am home, basses hang on the wall always. None of my basses are currently in cases.
  17. Dragan

Dragan

+1
  18. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

Have always been on stands for easier access to practice. Have always been thinking to keep them in cases though but laziness took over. Have also informed family members to be careful when they are near the basses.
  19. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

Only time mine goes in the case when it's indoors is if there's risk of family arriving with children as the little monsters are allowed to run riot and their parents just let them; and kids always seem to levitate towards big, noisy things.
  20. locisbrelm

locisbrelm Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass
    My Spectors trade between the gig bag and wall hanger, matters which I'm using. The others just hang around my house waiting for me to pick up. Which happens when I'm too lazy too wash my hands.