You like what you like. Fender MIJ over USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass2Bass7, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Bass2Bass7

Bass2Bass7

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Roscoe Guitars, Uncontained Sound, Sit Strings,
    My girl bought me the Maple Fender USA Jazz Bass V for $2000.00 for my birthday last year from GC. No matter what I had done to it, I could not get it to play the way I like. I put new Nordstrand Pickups in it had my tech set it up and tweak the neck put new strings on it, everything I could think of. I still could not get it to play well physically. It never sounded that good tonally either. I practiced with it for hours and used it for 2 gigs. Just didn't cut it..

I sold it and purchased the Black MIJ 70's Reissue for $700.00. I could not be happier! It played perfect right out of the case and has become my #2 Bass (Next to my #1 Performance YB6) The weight is perfect the tone is Amazing (I did add Lollar JB Pickups and an Audere Preamp just to give it a bit more power) Neck is fast and it plays so much better than the $2000.00 Fender.

Sometimes it just works out that way. Sometimes you get what you pay for Sometimes you don't..

Attached Files:

2. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

From what I've heard and read over the years, Fender Japan is a completely different company from the U.S. The instruments they send here tend to have murkier, sometimes kinda yellowed finishes, with cheaper, shiny hardware.

Fender Japan does have better routing and assembly imo.

3. hardtwister

hardtwister Supporting Member

I sold my 1977 Fender Jazz bass after acquiring a 1983 Squier JV Jazz Bass by Fender Japan. The JV is much lighter and has the nicest rolled neck edges.. It sounds great and is a joy to play. Just my personal experience..

4. xroads

xroads

Are you comparing a 5-string (US) to a 4-string (MIJ)?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

My birthday is coming up, I want a new bass, can I borrow your girl? I promise to return her in the exact same condition. :D

The MIJ 70s series are by far my favorite Fender bass. Really nice looking bass you have.

[​IMG]

7. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

It wasn't that long ago that Fender Japan was considered equal, if not better, to Fender USA, in terms of quality production. I feel that USA Fender stuff, these days, is pretty damn good! That being said, every Japanese Fender I have played has been top notch. YMMV:bassist:

8. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

Amen brother:

"Sometimes it just works out that way. Sometimes you get what you pay for Sometimes you don't..."

9. Rocktometrist

Rocktometrist Supporting Member

Here's something that has me totally baffled: I own a 1997 Fender Roscoe Beck V and a 2012 American deluxe jbass V...but what currently gets my playing time? A modded Squier VM Jag V.

The fact that anyone can make a profit selling a bass for only $249 blows my mind. The fact that I love it as much or more than their top-of-the-line offerings has me questioning my sanity and possibly my entire approach to life. LOL

10. Bass2Bass7

Bass2Bass7

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Roscoe Guitars, Uncontained Sound, Sit Strings,
    No.. I'm comparing the feel and play ability of a $2000.00 Bass to a $700.00 Bass

11. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

I had a great MIJ Jazz, but prefer the playability and looks of the US model.
    I actually prefer playing my Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn over my US Joe Osborn, although I prefer looking at the US made bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. hardtwister

hardtwister Supporting Member

Exactly. What does the number of strings have to do with the OP? Nada!

13. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

USA ........ Fender/Warmoth, Sadowsky , Performance

[​IMG]

14. Tbone76

Tbone76

Looks great! I have the 3tsb MIJ 70's model, and looking at your pic it seems that yours has the same bridge as mine. It's slightly different than the regular Fender bent plate, as it is secured with a screw at each corner. The plate on mine is also a little thicker than the standard bent plate. I did sand the finish down on the back of the neck, and now it feels and plays even better. Congrats!

15. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

I own both US and Japanese Fenders (2 of each).
    I can honestly say that I can't split them on quality.
    IMO the jap ones are at least as good as the US ones in both finish and playability.

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

So we all learned that some basses feel and sound good to us and some don't.

17. obimark

obimark

Two things- 1. That is an awesome girlfriend!
    2. I like my MIM Nate Mendel P-bass better than my MIA- it just plays better and is also a pound lighter. More punch little faster neck.

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I guess I'm one of the weird ones, I usually prefer Fender's MIA instruments over the MIJs. I owned a Geddy for a brief time, and have tried several '51 RIs--the tuners felt wonky on all of them. I also didn't dig the finish on the '51 RI necks--too heavily applied, IMO.

19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

No, not "nada". You're comparing apples and oranges. A Fender V is a very different instrument than a standard (or reissue) 4-string Jazz. Especially when you're talking about the feel and sound of the bass.

20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

MIJ instruments are not uniformly better than the MIA models. Some are great, some are only fair (I've never run across an MIJ that I'd call "bad"). But most people prefer MIA instruments, and the used market prices bears that out. It's a rare day when a MIJ guitar sells for more than the MIA equivalent.

21. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Used market prices are driven by new market prices, not instrument value alone.