1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"You look like a bass player"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Twocan, May 23, 2013.

1. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

I've been primarily a bassist since I was 15, but did a solo acoustic thing for a while when I was in college to pay the bills. I remember speaking with a group of people during a break when a girl (a few in the bag) muttered "something's wrong - you look like a bass player. You should be playing bass."

I've often wondered just what exactly that meant. No, I did not have my acoustic slung below my knees nor did I stand in the back corner of the stage in the shadows, avoiding eye contact.

So my question is, what does a bass player look like? Do you fit the bill?
  2. maxgrant

maxgrant Supporting Member

The wimmins who know the secret, don't tell it. But it's in the hands, guys. They know what's up with the hands.
  3. dalkowski

dalkowski

The lass may have been well in her cups, but she knew a gentleman of distinction when she saw one.
  4. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Yes, I do. Bald with goatee and a gut. Too many of us look this way. At least I'm not shaving my head.
  5. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I drank the fEARful koolaid and I'm damn glad I did.
    I've always thought "big people" should play bigger instruments and vice versa.

I'm 6' 3" and not far from 300 pounds. I look pretty silly holding a little tiny guitar, but a bass looks appropriately sized.

So... are you a big fella?
  6. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Im 6 foot, 225lb. Buzzed head. People tell me I look like a bass player
  7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Im 6', 180lbs and Ive been told the same.
  8. CDuff

CDuff

I've had this happen once or twice.
    I'm 5'8" and normal build with normally proportioned hands.
    I remember once, a group of us from work were talking about playing instruments and I mentioned that I used to be in a band. (I was new to the company) Before someone even finished asking "what did you play?" this girl just said emphatically "bass. definitely."
    I asked how she knew and she just said "It's obvious."
    Very mysterious.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Did you have a stupid hat? Lots of bass players wear stupid hats...

Yes, a fedora is SUPER cool, but it isn't cool to wear it with blue jeans and a t-shirt.
  10. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

On thing I always noticed about mariachi bands in the San Diego area is that the smallest guy invariably gets the acoustic bass. (I'm sure it has a proper Mexican Spanish name, which I do not know...)
  11. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkees show up Supporting Member

This!
    Especially knit caps....
  12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I've gotten that comment from time to time. I have no idea of what that particular girl meant when she said it to you, but in my case I assume it's because I'm large of stature, and therefore physically built like a bassist: 6' 2" tall with a big frame, i.e. big shoulders, long arms & legs, etc. :meh:

MM
  13. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

So if I go home tonight and look in the mirror I should see a tall, strong, fat, bald man with a goatee, massive manly hands and a stupid hat on :rollno:
  14. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

I've been getting the comment that I "look like a bass player" for well before I even played bass. Not entirely sure why, but I do suspect it has something to do with being tall (I'm 6'4").

--
  15. CDuff

CDuff

This hat thing is totally new to me. Bassists wear hats?
  16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

It's called a guitarrón.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MM
  17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

There is no way this is restricted to my scene.

Everytime a group of people head to the stage and one of them is in a stupid hat... bassist. 10 times out of 10.

It is less common in metal... because hats aren't metal...
  18. CDuff

CDuff

well, someone agreed with you straight away so I'm obviously missing something. A geographical thing, maybe.
  19. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Supporting Member

Check it out....dudes got a tuner on there. And those pics gave me an idea. I gotta get me some of those pants.
  20. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

:D :)