You thought you had a Floppy B

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oniman7, Jan 2, 2013.

1. oniman7

oniman7

So I ran across this band I had never heard of and decided to try listening to them. They are progressive metal and the trend is to have 8 string guitars and 6 string basses and drop tune them. Check out that shot at 0:41... his string looks like a wet noodle. Pretty cool bass lines and he manages to make it sound alright, but I couldn't help but laugh.

Side note, I can't often tell the bass line from the low guitar part.

2. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Aahh Hacktivist, what a band. What a floppy string. I like what's coming out of the UK with this while progressive metal movement recently.

3. Fenwick

Fenwick

Beyond Creation. 8 string guitar, 6 string fretless. Uberflop from about 1:50 for both instruments and a sweet bass solo to boot around 4:17.

4. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

That "slow-mo floppy string" is all over metal and hardcore videos.

Liferuiner. Gibson Ripper bass, I think they play in C, not sure.

http://youtu.be/VJ9G0u-tFMg

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

I have a floppy D...

7. Wallace320

Wallace320

Attached Files:

8. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

my band plays in drop A. used to drop that far on my 4 string music man with the E string.

bass cam at 1:23 its not too floppy, but that is on the 5 string dropped to A

9. Bobster

Bobster

I think we are seeing "rolling shutter effect" on the instrument strings in that video. It's a digital sensor processing error in digital cameras.

Here's a mild example:

Bob

10. Fenwick

Fenwick

I think we are seeing "rolling shutter effect" on the instrument strings in that video. It's a digital sensor processing error in digital cameras.

Rolling shutter is caused by side-to-side movement of cameras with CMOS chips. The video you linked incorrectly labels the effect as 'rolling shutter', even though the camera is stationary.

The effect your seeing, specifically with the videos you and I linked (and NOT the others) is caused by a high shutter speed, likely 1/1400 or higher. Because the sensor captures light/motion for a such a brief moment (1/1400th of a second) it can capture the strings full range of motion (oscillation) throughout a sequence and see what are eyes cannot.

In all seriousness, the OP's link had a floppy B, but both our links' effects are realted to shutter speed and not string tension (though Beyond Creation do tune their 8/6 strings down a full step).