1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Young Marcus Miller on Night Music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modulus1906, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Modulus1906

Modulus1906

WOW, check out this 1980s show called Night Music. I had never heard of this. Young Marcus is part of the house band. How in the heck did I miss this in the 80s?I found this looking for YOUTUBE videos of Joe Sample. Fascinating!!

2. Want a 9

Want a 9

This was a really good show when it was on. I wish there was a show like this on now a days. Lots of great musicians on that show. :)

3. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

As a musician this was one of the best shows I've ever seen with all the best guys and great artists they backed up. It was short lived but often remembered.
    Check out when they backed up Jeff Healey, and Marcus's reaction when Jeff stood up and rocked them all :)

4. Jamarvic

Jamarvic Endorsing Mofongo! Supporting Member

Man I totally forgot about this show..and I'm a big Marcus fan. Thanks for the link.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

One of the most amazing musical moments I ever saw on television was on Night Music, when they had Leonard Cohen on. He performed "Who By Fire", which at the time I'd never heard before, with Sonny Rollins sitting in and doing a lovely and quite unexpected sax solo.

Hey, cool, apparently it's on YouTube!
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cY2mrKKxLMk&autoplay=1#

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

That was a great show. I think there were too many great young players at a time when studio work was still hot, to keep that band together.

8. hands5

hands5

Disclosures:
    none
    it wasn't so much the players, it was the studio execs. who tanked it. !

9. tdizzle

tdizzle Supporting Member

There is a show like that today. It is called Later...with Jools Holland. The format is slightly different, as the acts do not perform with one another, but the diversity of talent is primary. Featured artist are both mainstream and esoteric, international and local. Jools Holland was actually one of the hosts for Night Music. Later... is a must see if you can get it on cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Later..._with_Jools_Holland

10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Night Music was GREAT, I never missed it, VHS taped quite a few of them. Some extraordinarily weird pairings of musicians on there. Look up "Healing Power" with Steve Swallow, Bootsy, Carla Bley and David Sanborn.

The only music shows that are worth a dang these days are the Guitar Center "Sessions" (try to find it on cable!) Austin City Limits (sometimes) and the Jools Holland "Later" shows from the BBC.

11. tdizzle

tdizzle Supporting Member

12. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

You won't often see me defend industry "suits', but the execs and producers behind "A Little Night Music" were geniuses. They brought in Holland and Sanborn to MC, who were real, live, working musicians who actually knew a lot of their guests and could collaborate with them, and they managed to line up a long series of really talented musicians who happened to be in lulls in their careers, and could be persuaded to do the show for relatively little money. If you check the timelines, none of their major guests had a recent album or tour in progress at the time they appeared, so (a) it got them exposure, which their management loved, and (b) because of the format and the hosts, it was more fun than the usual TV guest appearance gig.

But they had a late-night time slot that didn't draw a mass audience, and in the broadcast TV economic model, based on selling advertising minutes, it's utterly unsurprising that it wasn't viable in the long term.

My other indelible memory of "Night Music" was when Joe Walsh (James Gang, Eagles) came on. He was drunk and/or stoned, and completely blew it in the middle of a guitar solo, so they overdubbed it in post-production, but the flub was so egregious that it was immediately obvious to any musician watching that we couldn't *possibly* be hearing what was coming out of his amp during the taping.

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I used to watch that show because of David Sanborn. I was a sax player and heavy into Jazz. And the show and Sanborn albums was where I discovered Marcus Miller.

14. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

I LOVED those Sanborn albums with Marcus on bass.

Very little fusion keeps my interest these days - it's all either sicky sweet or a massive note-fest. That stuff, though, sounded like instrumental funk to me...same stuff I was hearing in the clubs but no vocals. Awesome.

I do remember Night Music - great show. Later with Jools is good too.