1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Your advice Amp upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sanderic, Feb 13, 2013.

1. sanderic

sanderic

So here's the situation. I currently use a GK MB200 through a MBE410 8 ohm model. So I'm pushing about 140 watts into 8 ohms. I now have an opportunity to purchase another MBE 410. I'd the be running 200 watts into 8 tens at 4 ohms.
    Or, I also have the opportunity to pick up a used MB210 and use my current 410 as an extension cabinet. In other words 500 watts into six tens, although the power may be unevenly distributed between the cabinets.
    So....200 watts into eight 10s, or 500 watts into six 10s....your thoughts please.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Go with the second cab.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Get the MB210 to run with your 410 MBE and you will always have the MB200 as a backup/small gig/practice amp.
  4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

+1 second cab. Unless the amp has the ability to biamp, you will be blowing out the 210 before the 410 even breaks a sweat.
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The problem I have with that logic is the MB210 will output 350 watts into it's built-in 210's. Add any cab to it and the power the combo's 210's will see will be reduced (while overall wattage is increased, shared power).
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

210/410 is still unbalanced. Each spkr in the 210 will see double the power of each spkr in the 410. Adding the 410 to the current rig means all 8 spkrs get the same power. Balance is good.
  7. sanderic

sanderic

So far I like what I'm hearing as the second cabinet is $100 cheaper.
  8. Sparty

Sparty

If it was me I would go with another 4x10.. You will have matching cabs and the dispersion will be greater.. You will also get full power from your amp.. A 200watt amp can be very loud through 8x10 speakers.. Also if you decide to upgrade your amp the cabs should be more than enough to cope with the extra wattage..
    Sparty ;0)
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If you get the combo you have a backup amp and a convenient rehearsal amp.

I don't see any downside in adding a 410 to a 210 combo. The 210's get a little less power but the rest of it goes to 410, quite an upgrade over 140w into 410. They aren't identical tunings so you could find they don't play well together

Sparty makes a good point that you could upgrade the amp on the 8x10 stack later.

I prefer to find the matching 210 for the combo and sell the 410. Then you have a nice rig for everything except outdoors with no PA.
  10. sanderic

sanderic

It has crossed my mind to later upgrade to an MB500 head.