Your airline of choice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Jan 14, 2013.

What's your airline of choice?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2013.
  1. American Airlines

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. Delta Airlines

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Southwest Airlines

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. United Airlines

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. US Air

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. Carrot Airways

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. tplyons

tplyons

What's everyone's airline of choice? Since I'm primarily doing business travel, I use United since they are our preferred vendor and I'm expected to fly United when possible.

Against other people's experience, United has been great for me. But when I'm flying to Canada, I always try to get a United Codeshare that's operated by Air Canada. Much cuter crew :)

2. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

If I'm flying for vacation, my favorite airline is the cheapest one that still allows me to fly direct. So, usually Southwest in that regard.

For business travel, United (and back when it was Continental too). Expensing-out those inflight drinks and TV makes me feel important. :D

3. zachoff

zachoff

Southwest. No bag fees and tickets are generally pretty inexpensive. Plus, the employees seem to have a sense of humor.

4. rr5025

rr5025

I picked american just because I've had good experiences, plus everytime I fly them they throw bonus miles at me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bmc

bmc

British Airways trumps the list.

7. ADbassman

ADbassman

I don't think any of them are particularly good at service, but for flying in a tin can at 500mph point to point, most of the time any of them will get the job done. I quite enjoyed Qantas when I flew on them, but for domestic the airlines I've had the least problems with is probably Southwest.

8. bmc

bmc

Sadly true. Back twenty years ago, service on US carriers was good. It has completely eroded. At one time, full hot meals were served in coach. First class was first class.

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

+1, although their prices are closer in line to the rest these days. Plus, they fly out of Midway in Chicago, which is far easier to deal with than O'Hare.
    Also, I'm 6'5" with long legs even for my height, so finding a decently priced seat that isn't sheer torture is a CONSTANT struggle. Early bird check in gets me to an exit row seat most of the time for $10.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

+1

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Whoever is the cheapest. It's often United Airlines.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I'll drive, thanks. I hate dealing with airlines and will avoid them whenever possible. I mean shoot, loosen the purse strings a little and put in some decently comfortable seats. It's an upfront cost that will likely yield happier and more likely to return customers. I heard a couple months back that a few airlines are trying to make it so that they can have standing room on board planes now just to save some money :rollno:

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I once tried to drive from Paris to NYC. It didn't end well.

14. Simo98

Simo98

I think its a great idea for places where you have flights that are only 30 mins or an hour or whatever. Here in Australia generally you're gonna be flying a couple of hours at least, so I don't think it would work out all that well.

But hey, if I can fly for a quarter of the price and all I have to do is stand up for an hour or two, sign me up.

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

There is an underlying safety issue with it. People can't just be up and walking about and throwing the weight of a plane around. Still, I can agree it might be nice for short 30-60 minute long flights, but they'd have to make the price ridiculously cheap before I'd even consider it.

16. Simo98

Simo98

Yeah, I think the safety aspect of it would be the main issue. Also, I don't see how it would be all that beneficial to the airlines at the moment, cost wise. There isn't really any room to stand on the average plane currently, so they'd need to remove seats to add standing room, and a standing person with a carry-on bag probably takes up just as much room as a person sitting in a tiny aeroplane chair anyway.

And yeah, they'd have to be considerably cheaper to make it worthwhile for people. Not many people are going to want to stand up all flight to save 10 bucks.

17. bmc

bmc

As they announce on flights, it is always best to stay seated with your seatbelt on at all times. Clear air turbulence is not detectable on weather radar and can, and often does, happen frequently. It can be as innocuous as a few bumps, and it can roll an airplane on its back. I once worked for an airline and we had a flight where the first bump saw the flt attendant pour coffee on herself from the first bump. The second bump rolled the B737 inverted and she broke her collar bone one on the ceiling. The plane had to be x-rayed for damage.

As for the standing room thing, that was Michael O'Leary at Ryanair that came up with that idea and it was only to generate press. It will happen about the same time they install roll down windows on jets.

18. bmc

bmc

Carrier selection criteria surveys ranks seats pretty low. Price, frequent flyer program and schedule are the main drivers. The standing room thing comes from one airline, actually the most profitable airline in Europe: Ryanair. It will never happen.

19. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

20. bmc

bmc

Eastern :p

21. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

People complain long and hard about them up here but after doing a bunch of regional travel on several US carriers, I've come to appreciate Air Canada.

I also like Westjet. Good service, generally pleasant employees. Limited routes and number of flights as compared to AC.