1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Your approach to creating fills...go!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ambissonnett, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

Hey guys,
    My band has been working on some new songs and on one of our new tracks there's a lot of space for some bass fills. I'm curious as to how you write them. I've never been the best at improvisation, so advice is appreciated.
  2. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Well, if it's just on the one song, work out which notes sound great as a fill, and then just subtly vary that throughout the song.

Just watch you don't go overboard.
  3. kenneffdupriest

kenneffdupriest Supporting Member

Just feel it out. Or up. Maybe you and the percussionist can share a walk, roll or run. don't over do it or try to play outside your skill level or the necessity of the tune in general. Sometimes a good fill or lead break is no more than a harmonic thump or power slide. Just be yourself and own that mutha. thank you, drive thru
  4. funkybass

funkybass

I listen to the song and hum a part that sounds good, and find the notes.
  5. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

I listen to the melody and sing a contrasting bassline in my head, then find the notes. Also tend to stretch the notes a long way apart to make it original and interesting.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think fo something that might sound good and I play it. If it works, I keep it. If it doesn't, I try something else. Bam.
  7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Slonimsky has been a great friend in recent times if you're looking for something far-out.
  8. wmheilma

wmheilma

It is a good idea to coordinate with the drummer in order to avoid filling up all that nice space with a big busy mess. Then think about where the fill is going to end up and come up with a little phrase that gets you there. Singing it first is a great suggestion! You don't want it to sound like a finger exercise.