1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Your band sucks, you just don't know it.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by myrockinbass, Feb 16, 2009.

1. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

I find it REALLY unnerving that we as musicians think the music we create in our original band is good music (generally speaking). I mean we all have gone and seen less than mediocre bands play who think their music (and/or musicianship) is AWESOME! I know we could all split hairs on this but I'm making broad generalizations. I'll put my band on the chopping block. I think our music is pretty good, our live show is better. It's a sad reality that certain genres are more popular than others. I just wonder if there are any markers you can set for "I know my band sucks if..."

excuse my ramblings:bag:

2. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Supporting Member

You've heard the tapes! Yeah it gets pretty esoteric.

Heard Jon Favreau, Swingers actor/director, talking once about how ever film he makes is "Citizen Kane" until he sees/hears the audience reactions. Just too involved with ourselves, I guess.

-richard

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

I cant tell you how many times I've been at the local rehearsal studio and thought where are these bands playing? They suck so bad. Not necessarily musicianship, but where the hell is the melody.... where is some decent song writing skills?

I'd say your band is far better than average. It has melody which to me is essential.

4. katri

katri

i think your that stuff is alright TBH, not my thing but very listenable, the vocals were very good and fit well to the music.
    ill do the same with my band too, comments welcome

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

What do you mean "I don't know it"? :(

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Not entirely my thing, but I wouldn't walk out on your show.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

If you can't get hired

If you clear out a venue if you do get hired

If no one can look you in the eye if you ask "how do we sound?"

If no one buys your music

9. dj150888

dj150888

I could never say that sucks, it just doesn't tickle my pickle. Not a negative thing here, but its a little middle of the road for my personal tastes (though "middle of the road" is subjective). I'd rather listen to metal if i'm in the mood for something heavy, or acoustic folk/alternative. Nevertheless, you've got good musicianship and songs that are reasonably intelligent. Rest assured, you're already a step ahead of most bands out there

So are we all just swapping band feedback to see if we suck? Remember, one mans suck is another mans favourite.

Though feel free to give my own stuff a listen. Click for DARKEST ERA

10. Implosion

Implosion

Also the eagerness to promote original songs seems to inversely proportional to the skill of songwriting :D
    Got to admire all of your guts to post your band's myspace pages to this thread, but the general problem with these threads is that the only ones who post are the ones that know their bands actually are good :D
    I can't post a link vecause we haven't recorded any stuff with our new band but I promise I will do some grave digging when get something recorded.

Good stuff, but you already knew it because otherwise you wouldn't have started the thread :D But seriously, good songs and production that serves the music well. Applause.

Good stuff also. Actually great stuff considering that you are only 17. Are the others members as young also? Tight playing and very good arrangements and the Primal Scream part is absolutely brilliant!

Good songs, but folk(ish) metal isn't my thing. The drummer seems to struggle with his double kicks so playing isn't that tight. I'm guessing he hasn't played drums for long? Also vocals could be mixed more audible.

I actually saw Primordial last summer on a festival here in Finland, they seem to be the biggest metal export from Ireland. My friend is absolutely crazy about, he flew to Ireland for the record release gig in 2007 :D

11. Valerus

Valerus

Darkest Era sounds pretty good. The vocals (at least the mix) could be slightly better.

12. ThunderLizard

ThunderLizard

+1
    You've heard your music 100's of times. Don't expect others to have that level of commitment!

13. megadan

megadan

it's kinda of, I don't know the name of it, but it's almost a philosophical problem:

99% of people don't think their band sucks (or they probably wouldn't be playing)

But I'd say of all the bands I come across at random (myspace, message boards, etc.) only about 30% of them are really good, the rest are generally average or crap.

So so many people are fooling themselves!

But I guess it's a matter of taste, for example, I know my band does not suck (or I would not be playing them them... I've all ready quit plenty of sucky bands), but you still likely can't be bothered to listen, because there are hundreds of other people making the exact same claim! Very interesting.

It's almost like... well, this is TB, so I won't go there ;)

14. megadan

megadan

Feel free to listen to and critic my band, as long as your criticism isn't "You guys are great, but have you ever thought about getting a singer?" :D :D

15. Implosion

Implosion

Like I said before, only people with good bands post links to this thread and you don't make an exception to the rule :D

I somehow got a strong Monkey3 feeling from your music allthough their music is heavier. They also don't need a vocalist.

16. baalroo

baalroo

It's all so dang subjective. I think if the people in the band are truly behind what they're doing AND they're all relatively proficient musicians, then the band doesn't "suck." The rest is just personal taste.

17. nbw

nbw

I'm actually quite aware of it thanks.. my band.
    to my defence, since we (as far as I'm aware)disbanded I've been practicing a lot more.. at least until I got tendinitis and been out of the game for a few months hoping it would heal.

18. McHaven

McHaven

I really think my band sucks most of the time, especially the guitarist's writing. My lead guitarist was the primary songwriter and I really can't stand his lyrics or half his songs anymore. Give it a listen, link in my sig.

19. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Is that present tense there? JPB back together?...

20. megadan

megadan

True; one criteria I would add is "members are well versed in existing music"
    if you know what's happening in the world you're more likely to make creative and interesting music, I find.
    My friend always says "You can be a reader without being a writer, but you can't be a writer without being a reader"

21. dj150888

dj150888

Surely if the point made in the original post was accurate, there'd be more people posting who THINK their band is good who aren't?

Thanks for the feedback, the drummer is actually a SHE though :p and she's usually a fair bit tighter than that, if you're remotely interested I can let you hear a song in which (I think) her drumming is a lot tighter. (Unfortunately) we're aware of the issues with the mix of the latest cd, though it will be remedied on the next, its all a learning process and we're all pretty young (18, 19, 20, 21 and 23 in fact), so we've plenty of time to get it right.

And yes, Primordial would be our biggest metal export, we've been fortunate enough to play with them a few times and build up a bit of a friendship with them, definitely a band worth witnessing live. As for your mate, there seemed to be a fair crowd over from the continent for that gig, it was a great night. Fair play to him for showing that level of support to a band though!